6 lug wheel spacers (3" preferably)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
who has the cheapest 3" wheel spacers? they have to be 6 lug (for my 44's). i would like it to be local so they don't need to be shipped. i checked rocky road, but i think they only have 2"...
let me know,
nate

N-Smooth

ehhhh i have known people with 3" that have never had problems. they are usually made from aircraft materials for hell's sake! and i'm not worried about street legality.
thats just what i think,
nate

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by xj_punk
ehhhh i have known people with 3" that have never had problems. they are usually made from aircraft materials for hell's sake! and i'm not worried about street legality.
thats just what i think,
nate

I ran 2 1/2" spaces on my stock axles back when. The spacers are strong enough, it's the presure that is put on your front end that is the problem. You will have front end problems.

N-Smooth

what do you mean by front end problems? are spacers bad for u-joints or something? i have a d44 front. the problem is the wheels and tires i bought for cheap have like no backspcing and in the rear, the tire is practically touching the leaf spring, it is like an inch away. i would like to space it out quite a bit. i haven't even put the tires on the front end yet cause i am still mounting the front axle. but, i know that i am going to need a spacer because i put leafs up front and that minimizes room for the knuckle to turn inwards. my uncle had to extend the stops on his knuckles (yj wrangler) cause his swampers are so friggin fat. it turns okay, i just don't like doing three point turns all the time on the trail, and i like to have all the turning power i can when i am doing something extreme. what do you think is the safest distance to space out the front axle. i don't think it really matters how much i space out the rear, it shouldn't have problems. besides that, the front axle is usually wider anyway so i can probably space the rear 3" and the front like 2".
you know more about it than i do, let me know what you think,
nate

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
you should be able to get better wheels(steelies) for what the spacers would cost. How much backspacing do your wheels have? too much back space or thick spcers put a lot of leverage on your bearings,balljoints,steering.

kb7sei

Originally posted by Jeremy
you should be able to get better wheels(steelies) for what the spacers would cost. How much backspacing do your wheels have? too much back space or thick spcers put a lot of leverage on your bearings,balljoints,steering.

Problem is, he may well end up in the boat I'm in. I bought 4 15x8 wheels with 2" BS. They don't clear the brakes on my D44 from a Wagoneer. The problem with them is that in order to get low backspacing they flip the wheel centers around and on the back side of the wheels there is now a little "lip" that the brake calipers catch on. Also, spacers allow you to use cheap steel wheels you can buy anywhere. You're not limited to some custom wheels you have to special order.

I recomend he do what Boner, uh, I mean Bones did and get the spacers. Unless he wants to buy my 2" backspaced wheels, in that case I recomend he give me money. :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Originally posted by kb7sei

Problem is, he may well end up in the boat I'm in. I bought 4 15x8 wheels with 2" BS. They don't clear the brakes on my D44 from a Wagoneer. The problem with them is that in order to get low backspacing they flip the wheel centers around and on the back side of the wheels there is now a little "lip" that the brake calipers catch on.

I have a 3/4 ton chevy 44 under mine. I ordered 3" back spacing wheels for it (15 x 10). I ended up doing about 2 mins worth of grinding with a soft pad total on all four corners. I have a hard time believing that a waggy 44 has bigger brakes. When they use pretty much the same calipers.

N-Smooth

it is a waggy 44 up front, but i have not even put the wheels on there yet. i think they will fit cause the wheels were on a old cherokee chief and they shouldn't have a problem clearing the calipers because they are the same calipers.

okay i measured the wheel, from the center (mounting surface) to the outside, on both sides.
the outer side measures 7.5"
the inner side measures 5"

does that mean i have 2.5" backspacing (probably)?

-nate

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
no, it means you have 5"! dump those wheels. You can get steel wheels as low as 25 bucks brand new. wai, I take that back, 7.5 plus 5 =12.5, that is one wide rim:confused:

Last edited:

N-Smooth

so you mean they are spaced inward 5"? what?
maybe i'll just take a pic real fast with the digital and put it on here quick. stick around dude,
nate

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
lay the wheel on the ground face down. take a straight edge and lay it across the wheel. measure from the straight edge to the inside mounting surface on the wheel. yeah, take a pic too.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
no, it means you have 5"! dump those wheels. You can get steel wheels as low as 25 bucks brand new.

Jeremy,
got to argue this point with you. The backspacing is typically measured from the center of the wheel. For truck (like you drive for work) it is called inset or outset.

I would say that he has 2.5" outset (the center of the tire is out 2.5" from the wheel mounting surface.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
The distance from the mounting flange to the inner groove where the bead sits is your backspacing. If you measured 5" that is what it is. You might be confused with "offset" which is the difference between the front side spacing and the backside spacing. With your meausurements above, your offset is 2.5"

James

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I edited it, check it, but I will wait for pics. I am aware that it is generally referred to as offset-from the center line, but I usually only see it referred to as backspacing on the net, so that is the term I assumed he is familiar with. backspacin and offset are two different measurements. I believe. but I have already been wrong once this week.:D

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
. backspacin and offset are two different measurements. I believe. but I have already been wrong once this week.:D

Yeah, after reading jamesgeoligist's post, looks like I need to brush up on my terms a bit more. It makes sense that backspacing and inset/outset/offset would be seperate measurements.