60 or 9

Papa_Chase

I have a yj that I like to wheel on the weekends but it is also a daily driver, I want to put a new rear-end in it. I dont know if i should put a dana 60 or a ford 9 inch. I am currently running 33 but i would like to go to 35. any suggestions

60's stronger but a 9 is strong enough for 35's. Whatever you can get your hands on easiest is what I'd go for. The 9 will have a little better clearance and you have the added convenience of the third member.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
For that application I would find a 31 spline disc braked Ford 8.8 from an Explorer. You can get em with pretty low gears, they're cheap, and they have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

hmmmmm....I know where you can get a screamin deal on an 8.8 with an ARB and gears, plus perches........hmmmmmm, where have I seen that? OH yeah. Here!

Papa_Chase

Originally posted by RockMonkey
For that application I would find a 31 spline disc braked Ford 8.8 from an Explorer. You can get em with pretty low gears, they're cheap, and they have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

huh, do they compare to like a 44 in strength and are gears and lockers hard to find?

RockRoach

the 8.8 isn't quite as wide as your front dana 30, but you could get a spacer if that bugs you, i think you could find one stock with 4.10 gears, and there's plenty of aftermarket lockers and what not for them

Papa_Chase

Originally posted by crimsonride
hmmmmm....I know where you can get a screamin deal on an 8.8 with an ARB and gears, plus perches........hmmmmmm, where have I seen that? OH yeah. Here!

Dang that is way nice I am just 900 bucks short. oh yeah I have 410 gears already so i would have to get a new R&P.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by Papa_Chase

huh, do they compare to like a 44 in strength and are gears and lockers hard to find?
If you get a 31 spline one the shafts are stronger than a 44 (30 spline). The gears are probably comparable in strength to a 44. They are only like an inch or two narrower than your front, you'll never even notice. They are a c-clip design, so if you do break an axle it (and your wheel) will fall off. Not really a big deal you can buy tons of spare shafts from junk yards for almost nothing, just take one with you if you're worried about it. It surprises me how few people use these axles in YJs and TJs.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Oh yeah, gears and lockers are easy to find, plus you can find one with 4.10 gears already in it to match your front.

Bones

I'm going wth a 60 just for the simple fact that I think" I can build it for less than the 9". I can always shave the bottom and go to 35 spline if the stock shafts don't last which I suspect they will for me.

Yes it is comprable to the 44 in strength, IMO maybe a little stronger, they can be had for cheap too. C-clip isn't such an issue since disc braked 8.8's can be found easily, they're out of newer explorers. Brad (Redrock5.9) and Ijust put one in his grand and it's working great.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The 9" is lighter and can be just as strong. 35 spline, spooled 9's with the nodular housings are beef. I used to have a link to a site that explained in detail why the 9" is so cool--pinion supports, gear thickness etc etc. I'll look for the link.

The 8.8 is stronger than the d44. Compare ring gear size, shaft size etc. There was a mag article a few years back that did strength testing to the 35, 44 and 8.8 and the 8.8 came out way on top.

Cody

Papa_Chase

hey thanks for all of the info. I am most likely going to go with the 8.8, I am just a little worried about the c-clip, that sucks.If you find any good deals let me know I am limmited on money. I currently have 4.10 but i am considering going to 4.56. Once again thanks for all of the help.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
never in all my days will I trust my disc brake caliper to hold my busted ass together. We had to baby one of those turd 8.8s out of lil moab a few weeks back....those things are WAAYYYYYY overrated. Get a 60 or a 9. Cheaper to build and wheel than any 8.8!!!