60 vs 80

fire4j15

I just got lucky and have some money now to buy me a new front axle for my TJ Rubicon unlimited. I've narrowed it down to a TeraCRD60, which is what I have in the rear of the jeep. And also a Dynatrac Dana 80. This will be my only chance to buy one so I want to buy the biggest and baddest axle. Going to be running 39 krawlers and another set of 42" Iroks. If you had the chance to buy any front axle you wanted what would it be?????? Not to concerned about the weight either. 60 or 80????

Badger

I am the Brute squad
60 will be just fine no need to go up to an 80.I doubt you will be running anything bigger then a 42/44" tire or pushing over 500 hp at the axles.Why put an 80 up front anyway you are just going to drag it over everything you try to drive over without something like a 54" tire.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I don't even want to know what the 80 runs money wise. Is it high pinion? The only guys "I know running 80's are pulling trucks 60's should be good. Spend the extra elsewhere

fire4j15

I don't even want to know what the 80 runs money wise. Is it high pinion? The only guys "I know running 80's are pulling trucks 60's should be good. Spend the extra elsewhere

The 80 will cost about 800 bucks more then a 60. Been researching what the buggys run and comp guys. Looks like you guys are steering me in the right direction. So probably go with another Tera60.

Vector OffRoad

The Spider 9 axles are really nice units especially with a HI 9 3rd memberhttp://www.truehi9.com/. You can also check the axles out @ http://www.spidertrax.com/. Is your jeep going to be a DD, or offroad only. The Spider 9 axles run unit bearings, and they caution using them on the street for extended periods of time. I have not heard of any problems with them failing, but they have not been tested much for street driving. They are pretty bombproof for offroad use.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Me personally, I would go with a Spider 9" with a true Hi 9 3rd member. I can't really give you a good reason as to why, I just like them. So honestly, you can forget what I just said because it's my opinion based on nothing.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
A "Dana 80" using Dana 60 knuckles is a waste of money. Aside from the typically necessary goodies like 35 spline alloy shafts and HD joints, the strength you need is in the knuckles! A HP Dana 60 center section with a quality gear set can take extreme amounts of hell.

We're building a true, front Dana 80 axle for a current project that utilizes the standard 37 spline shafts, 1550 joints, and most importantly, NO Dana 60 knuckles. However, this rig has a supercharged 502, 42's (atleast), and will get seriously abused (in a good way, of course).

Although a Dana 80 is an option, I think the Tera or Dynatrac 60 would be a more appropriate choice for your project. Better yet, a Hi-9 in a Spidertrax housing would be way b!tchin' and would be my choice.

Bart

I think the Tera is a great choice but if you're going to go with Dynatrac, get their Pro Rock 60 with the 40 spline shafts and outers.

fire4j15

Who makes the biggest and strongest knuckles for a 60? I think I have narrowed it down to a TeraCRD60 front. Longfield Inner and outer shafts.
What knuckles should I run. Are the CRD60 knuckles Strong? Anyone have a Front CRD60 that can give there opinon? Thanks for the comments guys. These posts have helped me really narrow it down on what I want.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You could run a Tera CRD60 center section and have it build with some of the high-end knuckles; Crane, Dedenbear, etc.

I believe you can now get an ARB built from the factory for 40 spline shafts, but it's quite spendy.

I'm running a Tera CRD60 center with Dodge kingpin knuckles (supposed to be the strongest stock kingpin knuckle) with 40" Maxxis tires. Honestly, I'm not too concerned about breaking the knuckles. IMO you'd really have to be thrashing on a rig to break knuckles.

Caleb

You could run a Tera CRD60 center section and have it build with some of the high-end knuckles; Crane, Dedenbear, etc.

I believe you can now get an ARB built from the factory for 40 spline shafts, but it's quite spendy.

I'm running a Tera CRD60 center with Dodge kingpin knuckles (supposed to be the strongest stock kingpin knuckle) with 40" Maxxis tires. Honestly, I'm not too concerned about breaking the knuckles. IMO you'd really have to be thrashing on a rig to break knuckles.
What Greg said, stock kingpins should be fine for most applications but since you're spending the money the Dedenbear are probably the best for the money but they aren't "the best". I think if crane is still around, they have always been looked at as the best but they are also the most expensive.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Crane is definitely still around.

I don't think you can beat the Dedenbear... I mean "Reid Racing" knuckles. They're a good deal. Solid makes some nice knuckles too, but they're keyed, and they NAIL you on the steering arms and caps.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
If it were me, I'd choose the Solid brand knuckles over Dedenbear (now Reid Racing) or Crane.

Tacoma is right, they aren't cheap when you include the keyed arms and hardware, but they're worth the extra $.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I bought the reid knuckles for mine. I was leaning towards solids, but they didn't make a ford spindle pattern. So I didn't want to switch the whole outers blah blah blah. I got a great deal through mike at summit machine for them, plus some crazy BTF hysteer arms.

Spidey

go to pirate. Check out the write up in the Spidertrax Hi9. I have the rear. I 'm getting the front spider housing built by Twisted customs. I will assmble it and then have Ben Hanks do the steering on it. Do your research. The only other option I would even consider is a Dynatrac Pro rock 60. These are the best options you have. I would run from anything else. Because of local politics certain people here wont bash certain products. I would listen to Von. Get a spider hi9.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Currie makes a nice 60 as well....

IMHO, Whatever your choice, your rear CRD60 will sh*t the bed long before a built front 60.

MP

Last edited by a moderator: