67 CJ 5 Daily Driver Project

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
Last week the 93 honda accord i drove to work every day gave up the ghost and I was able to convince my wife that a 67 CJ 5 with a tin hard top was a reasonable replacement for my daily driver. The Jeep is actually in pretty good shape. It is all original including the seats and still has the old 4 cylinder "F" head motor. It runs really well as far as I can tell.

I did notice however, that the steering is pretty sloppy, and it is a little difficult to turn when it is going slow because it doesn't have power steering. Does anyone know of a fairly economical way to update the steering? Could I reinforce the frame and bolt in a saganaw style steering box and set up cross over steering? If i do that, is there a particular steering pump that works well in old jeeps? Any thoughts you guys have will help a ton!

Thanks,

Karl

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Hard to beat the common Saginaw pump and box. Available for nearly nothign from a trillion vehicles in a million yards... have to make some bracketry though.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Hmm. I might have an old FSJ setup here, if I didn't already give it up. I know I've got a PS pump laying around, at least. Free for the drive out to get it if you want it.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
You should be able to use the steering box from nearly any jeep of the era & later... the problem will probably be in finding (or building) the bracket to mount the pump to the motor.

I don't know if PS was even an option on the F-head or if a later model 4-cyl bracket would work, or could be modified to work:-\.

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
yea, I've been doing some research, and it looks like I will have to fab up a bracket to mount the power steering pump and to mount the steering gear box. I have a dead 4runner in my garage, It has a saginaw style steering box, and I have a power steering pump from a supra lying around too. Since I'm going to have to make my own brackets, I figure I'll just use what I have.

The Frame on the jeep is c channel and looks pretty wimpy, i'm going to box the section where I make the bracket. Any ideas how far back I need to go back to keep the power steering box from bending the frame while it is under load? I figured I'd go to the bumper on the front side of the pump, and about 8 inches past the bolts on the back side. Does that seem like enough to you guys?

Tacoma, thanks for the offer for the pump. If the toyota stuff doesn't work, I'll hit you up for the pump.