'70 Jeepster

wagonmaster

ONE TON 'O WAGON
sounds like fun i have some family over in dinosaur. it sure would be fun to not be bogged down with having to comply with emissions equipment standards like here in utah county. you guys have all the luck!

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
welcome to the site, looks like a cool build. Check out JamesK's rig on here, lots of great ideas.

Bart

Love the Jeepsters and Commandos. The "orb of traction" is hilarious. Never seen one like that before.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I like the Orb of Traction. :D

EDIT: I love the look of little, meaty Swampers on stock-height vehicles too. Very nice.

Bart, every so often people post up on Pirate with Orbs. The best one I saw was a 14bolt Orb that was still glowing. :D Must have welded it with like a 400amp welder or something, it was badass. ;)

cheepin

how bout you send the swampers my way
They are for sale.$400
Thanks guys.Yeah the Orb thing is from pirates.I think it describes it perfect.When I was welding it up I finished and covered it up with some old welding gloves.Came back later and the gloves were burning!Smoked up the whole shop.
On a side note I welded up the frame rails tonight.Tomorrow I will try and get the crossmembers cut and in.I still need to pull the tranny and t-case out of the truck.Then hall the donor drivetrain up to the shop and start putting it on the frame.

cheepin

Haven't updated this in while.
Frame welded together.
jeepster019.jpg

Axles got put on last weeked.
Jeepster032.jpg

Rear spring hanger with skid.
Jeepster034.jpg

Rear.Springs should settle and sit close to flat once weight it on.
Jeepster035.jpg

Front shackle hangers and miter plate.
Jeepster028.jpg

CJ grille and stock BBC radiator,may need 1" BL to clear everything.
Jeepster031.jpg

Motor mounts started.Bushing side will go towards motor.
jeepster026.jpg

Tommorow we plan to go grab the motor from my buddies house and install it along with the trans and t-case.

cheepin

No,16's.And 2 are going on my camping trailer I need to finish,once I decide how I want to do that.Just to replace the bald cupped one on it now.
jeepster021.jpg

cheepin

Got motor/trans/t-case in.Front view.
Jeepster024-1.jpg

Sideview will skid plate to cover all and am planning on clocking the t-case.
Jeepster025-1.jpg

Motor mount.
Jeepster026-1.jpg

Motor mountain gusset.(pun intended:D)
Jeepster023-2.jpg

Last edited:

cheepin

Well haven't updated this for awhile.Switched directions.Picked up a CJ-7 tub with title.So we decided to leave the Jeepster alone.Wanted more off a trailrig.
Here's what we have been up to.
Drilled and tapped the t-case.
Before:
Jeepster-1.jpg

After:
205.jpg

New sideview:
Jeepster024-2.jpg

Did a boatside.No body mounts under the front passenger area.Cut the rocker just below the doors.And welded in 1.5"/.125 wall square tube.Then tied this to the frame with 5 down bars of the same.Will skin the with 3/16" plate.Cage will tie into these.Sorry for the bad phone pics.
sideview.jpg

Front view of boatside.Nice and high.Gained 4" at door.
frontboatside.jpg

You can see the difference in before and after here.
front.jpg

Shortened rear frame and add bumper.As well as capped the end.Will add a 2" reciever at some point.There is 6" of frame past the body.You can see the start of the dash.Will be very simple.Tach/oil/water/CB and switches.
back.jpg

Rolled it out so we could turn it around and do a quick sweeping of shop.While out did a little testing.
flexing.jpg

Today,we finished the passengerside boatsidingAdded a couple of body mounts under the rear and fabbed the lower radiator mounts.Sorry no pics of these.
Now with the CJ body mounted the way it is.I can raise the engine 4"-5".Will need to cut the floor to make room for the t-case.But it will give me the flat bottom I want.I will wait untill I get closer to be running.Have lots to do yet.

Last edited:

cheepin

Slowly getting a little done.Got a pedal assembly and mount it and the chevy hydroboost brake setup in.Had to flip the chevy firwall bracket to clear the hood.Also shortened the pushrod 4".
cj.jpg

Fabbed and mounted a tray for the computer.The strap is hinged on top with a little allen screw to hold it closed.
Cj7build.jpg

Started on some tubefenders.1 1/4" tube mitered at the bends.Will tie into a grille hoop at some point.The inner fenders will be fabbed out of 16guage sheetmetal.
We started another duct job with huge duct.That is a 90* elbow sitting in front of the jeep.Luckily for me I don't do much duct fabbing.I do the roof flashings and architectual stuff.We do mostly high end house in Aspen.Lots of zinc and copper metal wall panels and roofs.
tubefenders.jpg

Radiator is mounted.Did a square tube cage under the hood and ran the uppermounts off this.Lower mounts come off the grille crossmember.
radmount.jpg

Had a couple of 10 bolt outers sitting around.SO I decided to use them for the t-case shifters.Still need to finish these.
cj7.jpg

Utah340six was nice enough to bring me a YJ tank.Picked it up in Moab Fri.Should work.
Also am getting a powersteering box/hydro assist setup from Rkillpack.This will get things going.Still need to order a wiring harness.Get some tubing for the cage.Get the plate for the boatsides.Run the brakelines/fuel lines.Also need to order a fuel pump and filter.I am now on a 4/10 work week.So if it ever stops raining.I will start bringing it home for the weekends.Also we had to get a new CNC head and software at work.It is awesome and alot easier to use and design parts and fittings on.So I started drawing up a dash.It will be cut from 16 guage.

Last edited:

cheepin

Slowly working on it.Got the hydro assist in.
Picture004.jpg
Powersteering box mounted.
Picture003.jpg

Actually been doing a little work to the Jepster.Welded in the rear hoop and spreaders.Mount a ammo box inbetween the front seats.Figure I need to get this ready for some light wheeling untill the CJ is done.
cjbuild.jpg

Need to mount the front seat belts.This thing never had belts.Pulled the stock belts from the CJ.It is a original halfcab.I got the rear seat from a guy that was throwing it out during spring clean up.Was complete with brackets and belts.

cheepin

Been getting a little done.Got the boatsides skinned with 3/16" steel.
cjbuild001.jpg

cjbuild003.jpg

Need to patch in the floor now.
cjbuild002.jpg

Also welded in a couple of 1.5" square tubes for the winch.They go from the bumper to the grille support.Fabbed up a pair of levers for the twinstick on the 205.
Used some scrap steel,a few nuts and bolts and the previous fabbed levers with the 10 bolt stubs.
Cj7build001.jpg

Cj7build002.jpg

Fabbed up a front driveshaft.Used the stock chevy cv for now.It is a tight fit to the bellhousing.
cjbuild005.jpg

Getting 80ft of 1.75/1.20wall of dom for the cage.Got in on a group buy of shorts.Cheaper then when I did the Jeepster cage.Once that comes in I will start on the cage.
Can't decide on how I want to run it though.Do I keep it in the body or run it out to the frame extensions on the rear?I don't plan on having a top other then maybe a bikini.

Last edited:

cheepin

Got started on the cage.Will be adding X's in the roof and behind the front seats.A window bar will go in also along with a couple more down bars.The rear fenders will probally get chopped and tube out all the way back.
Cj7build022.jpg

Cj7build021.jpg

Cj7build023.jpg

Tallz

Lovin it! I really like your rocker guards/skid plates. Those look well built and beefy.

Roll cage also looks great. Lots of room. That is one thing my cage will need being as I am 6'6" tall and the wife is 6'. Jeeps are small enough and trying to find that extra space is going to take some brain storming and a well thought out plan.

Keep up the good work!

cheepin

Got 4 bucket seat from Jeepswag over on pirates.
Cj7build-1.jpg

Got the front seat mounts in.Used 1.5" square tube tied to the boatside tubes.The front is 2.5" higher then the rear to clear the tunnel and get the right rake for me.
Cj7build026.jpg

Need to bend the t-case lever away from the pass. seat.They are a little far away from the driver anyways.
Cj7build025.jpg

Added some more bars to the cage,both in the roof and the windsheild.Still need some more tubing to do the rear.Will be cutting the rear up to fit 2 of the same buckets.
Cj7build028.jpg

Also got the front shock mounts fabbed and welded on.The rear upright is inline with the motor mount.So I can add a gusset between the 2 to help support the motor some.Will be adding a bar over the motor connecting the shock mounts.
Cj7build027.jpg

Tallz

The project is looking good!

The more I see those boat sides on jeeps and other crawlers, the more I like them. I tried to cut out the rust covered floor on my jeep and replace the panel, but I am not satisfied with the turnout. With the boat sides you can have a sturdy mounting place for roll cage, seat mounts, tube fenders, etc. I think I will ditch trying to replace floor panels and jut cut out the garbage and add the boat side on mine.

How did you figue our the optimum angle for your shock mounts? I guess it depends on the location of the mount on the axle?