700 r4

4x4phil

never installed one but want to use one in my 79 chev in place of the th350. I've heard it'll bolt up but are they the same length? I don't want to change my driveshafts. Are there any things that I need to take into consideration when changing one? Will my 350 torque converter work? I have a 203 tc.

Caleb

4x4phil said:
never installed one but want to use one in my 79 chev in place of the th350. I've heard it'll bolt up but are they the same length? I don't want to change my driveshafts. Are there any things that I need to take into consideration when changing one? Will my 350 torque converter work? I have a 203 tc.

the output shafts spline count should be the same, the bolt patterns front and rear should be the same but the 700 is longer 23.4" vs. 21.75". Your torque converter will not work, but you should be able to use it for a core (if you need a core). Your adapter for the 203 should bolt right up (they both have a 4 bolt square pattern) but I seem to remember the 700 output shaft being longer so you need to have a T350 4x4 shaft put in the 700 or advanced adapters may offer a kit that has a thicker adapter. (Putting the t350 shaft in will prolly be cheaper). Why would you want to change? In stock form the 700 is weaker than the 350, but if you need OD then the 700 is prolly the way to go.

RockPaws

It's All About Rocks!
Once the improvement modifications and shift kit install are completed, the transmission is very strong. If your looking for a rebuilder: Check with Tourist Transmissions, 1016S. State St. I've sent a number of customers to them for trans work. Or their are a number of videos on rebuilding. Their is one or two tools you will have to purchase or have a trans shop do it for you. Summit Racing.com should have a video. A lot of street roders use the 700R4, It can take some HP once modified.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
His Th350 blew up and he would like to replace it with a 4 speed for better freeway driving and the lower first gear.

Caleb

PierCed_3 said:
His Th350 blew up and he would like to replace it with a 4 speed for better freeway driving and the lower first gear.

if his 350 blew up from abuse I would strongly suggest he put some serious money into the 700 and beef it up.

Caleb

mbryson said:
or a 4L80 :D :D :D

as I was getting ready for the day I was thinking that exact thing...thinking a 400 would be better but the lack of an additional gear kinda throws that out, then I remembered (if I remembered right) that the 4L80 has OD but is beefier than the 4L60 or 700. Good suggestion :D

FWIW, the 700 can be a very nice tranny but even just a basic rebuild can really cost you a lot of money ($1000+) then you start adding up all the aftermarket parts and before long you have a super expensive tranny. Start with a more heavy duty tranny to begin with and I bet the overall cost will be much lower.

4x4phil

sounds like I need to just find another 350. I just spent a ton of money on new drive shafts (they haven't seen 1000 miles yet). I was hoping to upgrade but I need to have it done within a few days and that counts me out. thanks everybody for the info. If you know somebody with a th350 stub shaft please let me know.