71 Commando

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
I have friend who is building up a 71 Commando and we would like to know if anyone knows if a YJ dana 30 front axles is the same or close in width as the dana 30 that comes on the 71 Commando? The axle that comes on it has drum brakes and we would like to upgrade it to disc any other suggestions? If any of you know any people that know about the Commando that could please help us out. Thanks

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
Thanks for the input. I have not seen the axles I just talked to him on the phone about some options. Does anyone have any other options we might use?

KToy

a chev d44 or 10 bolt since they are cheap...i have one with the knuckles turned up and 5.13 gears on a d44

or i have a 10 bolt you can have if you go pick it up at my friends house.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm running a narrow track 30 front and d44 rear, take the drum brake knuckles off and put on knuckles out from a disk wide track 30.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
1BadZJ said:
I have friend who is building up a 71 Commando and we would like to know if anyone knows if a YJ dana 30 front axles is the same or close in width as the dana 30 that comes on the 71 Commando? The axle that comes on it has drum brakes and we would like to upgrade it to disc any other suggestions? If any of you know any people that know about the Commando that could please help us out. Thanks

axle width's on a jeepster(commandos are ugly)are 53" on the front and 51" on the rear. If you can find a 72-75 cj5 the axles are the same width. although the front will still have drums, but the rear is a 30 spline dana 44.

'76-'86 cj5 and 7's have the same width spring perches as the commando front and rear. But he may not want to bother with a AMC 20. If he can find a 82 - 86 cj he could get the wide track axles which I believe are 56" wide.

How big does he want to go?

a lot of info here also............http://www.off-road.com/jeepster/jeepster.html

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
James K said:
(commandos are ugly)
I always wondered what the difference was. So, Jeepsters are what we (you and I) have, and a Commando is what I have heard others call a Bullnose...Right?