'71 Impala 4 door... what should I do with it?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If this is what you enjoy, then go for it. I totally get doing something you enjoy regardless of the financial implications of it.

My main/initial comment was more about, you have so many other projects already going on.....and that given those, the less desirable nature of this car makes it seem like you are spreading your resources too thin. Now, if you have enough room to store it until you can get to it, then by all means go for it. My wife would MURDER me if I brought home so many projects, even if I had the room....but yours seems pretty dam understanding.

We have 2 acres and understanding neighborhoods, there are currently 6 vehicles stored out back... some are for sale, some run, some don't, but I have room for more. I have more time at home these days and enjoy wrenching on old junk.

My wife loves the idea of driving an old car, taking her girlfriends out on the weekend visiting the winerys... she gets it too. 😉

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This is looking more & more like it's going to happen, which makes me happy. :cody:

I think my plan will be pretty basic, starting with deep cleaning & then work on the mechanicals.... get it running and driving reliably being the biggest hurdles. After that, wheels & tires... probably going to do some classis 15x8 slotted mags and quality tires. After that, I want to put this thing on air bags. :cool: :usa:

Anyone on here ever messed with air bags? I know they can be a bit finicky, lines need to be equal length to the F & R so bags work together. I'm looking for a complete kit with shocks & relocation brackets, this one looks pretty complete. - https://www.jegs.com/i/EZ-Air-Ride/373/CPBBD/10002/-1

STAG

On my grind
I had a car on bags once, loved it. I can’t give much feedback on the equal length lines because I’ve never heard that, but I was running the Airlift performance system (it’s the same system I bought for the Hawaii Ranger, and still have it sitting in storage waiting for a project to go on) and absolutely loved that system. It’s all separated however you plumb it. My car had all 4 corners plumbed with their own line, so I could technically do side leans or Carolina squats or stink bugs. They also have presets that you can set as “ride height”, “all dropped”, “towing” “full inflate” etc.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've had lots of VeeDub stuff. I just got rid of my last one about 2 years ago.

Peterson's did a "Reader's Rides" featurette on me and Jonny's "Mountain bug" like 17 years ago, supposedly we were the first 2wd up potatoe salad hill.

He might even have a dual Weber setup hanging around. At one point we even had a supercharger.