71 Scout 800B build!

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
So I sold my Jeep and bought a K5 Blazer to build. After one trail ride I came home and sold the Blazer and just recently purchased a Scout. I figured it was a good happy medium between the two. In the interim I've accumulated a few parts that were intended for the Blazer but I think will make this one badass Scout. Here's a pic of the virgin with only 60K original miles!

image.jpg image.jpg

I'm open to any suggestions as I'm new to the Scout world. Here's the parts I already have:
D60 Front
14 Bolt FF rear
203/205 doubler
PSC hydro assist steering

Still looking for a good Chevy 350 TBI motor/goodies and a 700R4

Going to 4 Link the rear with coil overs. Shackle reverse on the front and stretch it about 5" for a 105" WB. Cage, sliders, bumpers etc.

It will be a long road, but I think it should make a good trail rig. Let me know your thoughts!

I'll post pics of the progress, but be patient.

Thanks!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Subscribed!

I wish I wouldn't have sold my Scout, I love em. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Looks cool!
I love the little scouts!
My personal suggestion would be to link the front and leaf the rear. I'd rather have the improved approach angle vs departure any day. Plus no crazy long expensive slip shaft dshaft to deal with on shackle reversal. And you keep the load capacity and rear bed space with rear leaves, if you want to load up some full coolers, coilovers and mounts inside the rear are annoying.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Glad to see another scout guy.. That thing is nice, I would have a hard time cutting it up.

Depends on the way you want to use it. Link front and rear w/ coil overs, use the 1tons, cut the fenders, run some 40's, keep it long and low go everywhere. OR, keep it clean, do some upgrades, cruise the streets and some easy trails. OR buy my scout so I can go buy something that runs and you can have 2 bundles of joy.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
Thanks for all the props. She's definitely a clean find.
I'm not dead set on coil overs on the rear, but I'll definitely be linking the back of it. After converting my YJ to coil springs I'll never run rear leafs again. I loved the flex and the traction without any spring wrap! I won't be putting towers into the cab. If there isn't room, she'll be sitting on coils or bags.
The front looks like there's enough room to bump the axle forward and get a good approach angle. I am a little concerned about driveline lengths with the double T-case???
Bear- don't tempt me :)
I'm really glad to see a few Scout lovers in my area. Don't be surprised if I look you guys up one of these days for advice!
While I'm still waiting to pick her up, please keep the ideas flowing. You've got my wheels spinning!
Thanks for the encouragement!!

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I personally do not like spring over axles and used re-arched springs with longer hangers and cross bars. Would never go for coil over springs but would definitely double shock all around. You did not say what year but I assume from the looks and low mileage that it is 1974 or later and you already have disc brakes, especially up front. I tried to keep my scouts as close to the ground as possible because I liked fast off road or obstacle courses not rock crawling. Also I did not go for big budget items. Always wondered what a lighter engine with more horsepower would be like. Be sure and let us know how this works out.

Just noticed the year and model. Definitely add discs. For some reason, although I had a scout 800 with a four banger, I always think of Scout II's.

Last edited:

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
LOL very funny TJ4ME! That's exactly where my Harley funds went. Wife says I have too many hobbies. WTF? Thanks for the inspiration pics flexyfool. That's already helping motivate me!
Jackjoh it's a 71. And I have full width one ton axles to stuff under it. I'm leaning towards coilovers right now for simplicity. But we'll see what happens when I get the plasma cutter and welder underneath it ;)