727 torque flight tranny

kuefzj

I was looking for a bit of advise. I recently purchased a tube buggy that has a 727 torque flight tranny with a stall converter. I was told that it was recently rebuilt. I have not had it on the trail yet, but when I test drove it everything worked fine. The other day I had to move it and it would not go into gear. The temperature was about 10 degrees f. I checked the fluid level and it was fine. If I reved the engine it would gradually go and the more I drove it the better it worked. I did not drive it much. Just from one side of the driveway to the other and back.

My question is why would it do this???

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
This may not help but, I have a 999 the big brother to the 727. The 999 pump does not pump until the gear is shifted out of park. When you put it in gear it takes about 30 seconds before the Jeep wants to move, and that is in the warm months.

Given the temps and that factor?

larrybenny

larrybenny
Make sure you are checking fluid level in neutral, not park, and of course with engine running, there is up to a quart difference. Shawn is right in that no fluid is circulating from the pump unless in gear or neutral. Also the trans pan is very shallow so low fluid could be your only issue. These transmissions are also known for a delay into gear after sitting awhile and 15 to 30 seconds for engagement after starting is pretty normal.