76 j20 pickup, any Idia what its worth?

cambam

Does anyone know anything about this truck? Will the axels work in my cj? is it a good swap? Or should I just sell the whole truck? :confused:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
it's worth a little, sure, if it's in good shape. They've got dana 60 rears, 44 fronts, 8lug... maybe a 401 if you're lucky, uhmmm a TH400 or some reasonable manual... you can sell the bed if it's in good shape to the FSJ guys.....

pics? details? details AND pics??

cambam

It has the 401, and runs great. The tranny is an auto. the guy I bought it from said a turbo 400 (or something). I really bought it for the axels. I wanted to put them under my 81 cj7, but now I think they may be to wide. the body is rusted, and not in very good shape. I will try to get pictures posted soon

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The axles ARE too wide. Dont' let that stop you though, seriously.

The TH400 can be rebuilt w/a GM output shaft, say a nice 32spl, very cheaply.

want to sell the engine?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
At least the body is in bad shape. I hate seeing all the Jeep trucks being thrown away just so the axles can be put under CJ, YJ or TJs. I cant remember the last time I saw a nice J truck on the road and it is sad. I say sell the truck whole to someone that would like to fix it up. The 401 would be a great swap for your CJ the axles would be fine if you want that width but any common mid 70s 3/4ton Chevy will provide pigs that are better.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It miiiiggght... do you have the Quadratrac POS or a Dana 20?

The Quadratrac trucks will have a useless 10spline TH400 ouput, the Dana 20's are supposed to have 32spl. I can't confirm that because I've never seen one.

The new shaft is like $60 or something, plus either paying someone to do it or pulling the trans subassemblies out to swap it.

so... Dana 20 or Quadratrac???

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
well there ya go. You'll have to swap output shafts at least. I am not sure if the Dana20 and Dana 300 adapters are the same or not. If you look around for a late 60's/early 70's (like, pre74) Wagoneer, most of those were automatics, and had the Dana 20. I'll keep my eyes open around here.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think yeah, take care of that tranny issue, and have at it!

if you've got a manual in the CJ now, you might have some length-related issues. Check all the trans lenghts and go from there.

cambam

I took the truck to my mechanic to have him check the compression. It came back good, all but one cilender mesured 115. The other was like 95. ( Is that good?) My only question is, If I swap the motor, am I going to be kicking myself for not just spending the cash, and putting in the fuel injected vortec? Or should I just buy the fuel injection for this motor? BUILDING A JEEP IS SO CONFUSING!! I am just trying to figure out the best option for the cash I have.

I have also thought about selling the whole truck, and putting the money into other things. (Like axels that arent so wide.) is it worth $1000. ?

Lets hear Everyones input.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It might be, running.

401's go for $500 and up on Tha Ebay, though your's with the jacked up cylinder might have some trouble getting there.