7mge in 4runner cooling problem

crawldaddy

I'm looking for some input from others that have put a supra 7mge in there 4 runners. I have an 85 runner with the coversion done and have driven it for a few years. I receatly put bigger tires on which caused the motor to flex and tear into the radiator. What has every one else with this motor combo done for a radiator? I have a radiator that is for a chevy v8 conversion and would love something alittle thinner.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I don't think it was bigger tires that made it tear into your radiator, more like worn out motor mounts and lots of power will do that, but as far as radiators, you could try using the one you have but, mod the mounts and move it forward a inch to give it some more room but that might be more complicated than you want to get into

crawldaddy

My mounts are tight and in new condition, they just have a ton of flex to them, that and my radiator is only 1/2 inch from the pulleys on the motor. I had a friend suggest chaining the mounts so that they cant flex forward or Ive thought of building some new motor mounts that would eliminate any twist. I'm also considering cutting out the body in front of the radiator so that I could move it out farther. If I'm going to spend 300+ on a new aluminum radiator the last thing I want to do is to have it trashed from being hit.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I think your best bet is to fix the root of the problem first - the flex in the motor mounts. Even if they're brand new, you should replace them with stiffer ones, or modify them so they don't move so much. Then you can just put a stock radiator back in, and quit worrying about it. That would be a sh!t-ton cheaper than buying a fancy aluminum radiator, and then still having the same problem (only more $$$ this time) because your motor mounts still flex.

Chevycrew

Why is the motor mocing forward and back?

My radiator is 1/2" from the pulleys and never moves. (poly bushings(V8)) Normally when motor mounts go bad the engine moves side to side.

What is the condition of the trans/t-case mount? Are they allowing the engine to tilt forward and back?

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
If your swap is like mine when I ran the stock radiator (actually a v6 radiator) your motor is about a quarter inch away from the radiator, with absolutely no room to move the motor back, if you are running stock motor mounts, ditch those right away and get trail-gears, inch worms or lc engineering mounts. That motor has way to much power to deal with the crappy stock mounts. Even with the lc mounts I still would slightly rub on the radiator. It drove me nuts to have to patch my radiator every 6 months or so. I finally swapped the stock radiator for a more skinny yet wider corvette unit, and modified my front clip, it turned out real nice and my hood still closes with the factory latch, I can post pics, and/or if you ever want to come take a look let me know

crawldaddy

Why is the motor mocing forward and back?

My radiator is 1/2" from the pulleys and never moves. (poly bushings(V8)) Normally when motor mounts go bad the engine moves side to side.

What is the condition of the trans/t-case mount? Are they allowing the engine to tilt forward and back?

I never thought of looking at the trans mount, I think ill swap it out for a better unit while Im working on this. Thanks for the advice

crawldaddy

If your swap is like mine when I ran the stock radiator (actually a v6 radiator) your motor is about a quarter inch away from the radiator, with absolutely no room to move the motor back, if you are running stock motor mounts, ditch those right away and get trail-gears, inch worms or lc engineering mounts. That motor has way to much power to deal with the crappy stock mounts. Even with the lc mounts I still would slightly rub on the radiator. It drove me nuts to have to patch my radiator every 6 months or so. I finally swapped the stock radiator for a more skinny yet wider corvette unit, and modified my front clip, it turned out real nice and my hood still closes with the factory latch, I can post pics, and/or if you ever want to come take a look let me know
Id love to see some pictures of your set up. Currently I am running a v8 conversion radiator, with 2 pusher fans. I cut the third belt position off the main pulley to gain about 1/2 inch of clearance. Id love to get the radiator forward enough to mount a puller fan. I do get a little hot at the top of mount Logan, but that could be do to the 4 repairs that Ive done on the radiator so far.:D