8.1L Suburban vs 6.0 PSD Excursion

STPPINZ

My question here isn't Ford vs Chevy, or in general Diesel vs Gas.

My rig/towing weight has gone up a thousand pounds or so and now I need to find a higher capacity tow rig. The vehicle will be two purpose at 85-90% around town soccer mom rig and the rest towing. I probably am going to only tow 9K +/- pounds 5-6 times a year. But I want to have it when I need it. I am debating between an 04 PSD Excursion and a 04 8.1L 2500 Suburban.

I am looking at pro's and con's - Of course the Diesel will tow more, better gas mileage and possibly will last longer. But is all that worth the cost? Here are the numbers I quickly came up with.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stppinz/DropBox?authkey=RvR09nSoCMU#5290892528855478546

There are alot of other variables that could be thrown into this mix but I look at them as all as at best assumptions with used vehicles. You never know what you are really going to get.

Any opinions on the 8.1L overall and in Suburbans? I'm not to familiar with them. Reliability? And with diesel fuel only going to get more expensive like it was a few months ago, do you think it is just worth it anyway to have the power?

Just thinking out loud....

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I have no experience towing with the 8.1L GM equipped vehicles, so I won't speculate as to what is better.

However, if you are willing to buy an '04 Ford with the 6.0L, why not go just 1 year older and get an early '03 with the 7.3L? The 6.0L PSD has a horrible track record for reliability. Sure, there are a handful of people that have had good success with their 6.0's, but damn, its just not worth the risk!

Don't just take my word for it, ask a Ford service guy, visit diesel forums, ask others on RME, but do more research before buying it.

The very best vehicle I have ever owned is my '99 PSD w/ 6-speed manual, which is a daily driver and tow rig. When I replace it, I will be looking for the newest PSD 7.3L with the fewest miles. I will not even look at one with a 6.0L. BTW, I have 215k on mine and my neighbor has the same truck with 395k, and he has always hauled load of hay or a 6 horse trailer every week.

Anyway, good luck!

Bucking Bronco

I love fords and am also looking at a newer diesel and after hearing about the 6.0L I have been looking in to it and the 2003-2004 6.0L are garbage ford has several lawsuits against them and have lost over $5,000,000 in warranty issues with them. So I would stay away from the 6.0L in those years. also if you go with an 03 they did switch to the 6.0L mid year so some of the 03 excursions got the 6.0L

As far as Excursions go I had a 2000 and Loved it

Chevycrew

Other things to factor in:

Cost of service
Listening to the engine (some like it, some hate it),
Turning radius

If considering the PSD I would step to a 7.3L as well (its hit and miss on mileage with the 7.3L though) I know people who get 20 and some get 10.

STPPINZ

I guess the title was a little misleading. I too looked into the whole debate between the 7.3 and 6.0. There are some good videos on YouTube on the subject. If I do decde to go with diesel, it most likely would be the 7.3.

With you having that motor, would you let your wife drive it around in an excursion? Not saying it is not reliable but convient for a wife? I talked to a guy that had a brand new cumins that had a very hard time starting when it was cold a few weeks back.

But on the other hand I don't want to regret having a gasser when towing...

Chevycrew

As for the wife, the gasser suburban would be easier to start, easier to park.

I would look at it this way. Do you want something that is easier to drive all year long, and may be slightly lacking when you do tow. Or that pulls the hills great but is a pain in the butt to park and drive the rest of the year.

Highway towing I would go for the PSD, for in town, the 8.1L

Excursion turning radius 50.4'
Suburban turning radius 35'

Excursion HP/Torque 250/525
Suburban HP/Torque 325/447

oh and the 6.0L gasser in the chevy in 335/375

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
As fas as the wife driving a diesel goes...

Explain when and how to use the block heater. Also a pyrometer is a good cheap insurance--remind her to turn it off @ under 350 degrees and that will save you headache in the long run :D

My wife daily drives an extended cab long bed Cummins, and it took awhile but now now driving a big truck is not an issue for her.

STPPINZ

I doubt the 8.1 will be lacking in the towing dept. and it would be my choice over any psd. Suburbans are an awsome suv.

We have an 02 Z71 and I really like it for what it is. It has always towed really well with my 18ft Big Bubbas and the Pinz. The 5.3 is just not enough for what I need anymore..

STPPINZ

I would look at it this way. Do you want something that is easier to drive all year long, and may be slightly lacking when you do tow. Or that pulls the hills great but is a pain in the butt to park and drive the rest of the year.

This is kind of how I have been thinking. I just want to make sure that I am not missing something.

STPPINZ

As fas as the wife driving a diesel goes...

Explain when and how to use the block heater. Also a pyrometer is a good cheap insurance--remind her to turn it off @ under 350 degrees and that will save you headache in the long run :D

My wife daily drives an extended cab long bed Cummins, and it took awhile but now now driving a big truck is not an issue for her.

My wife has a head on her shoulders, but if I asked her to watch a pyrometer and other gauges I would be out of luck. I sometimes have to remind her to put gas in the truck.

4554x4

always modifing something
I bet that you could convince anyone selling a tow vehicle that you need to load it up and run up Parleys Canyon. If they wont let you do that, dont buy it. I have been impressed with the performance of the 6.0 gasser in some Suburbans I have driven. I would maybe look into how well they pull your load also.

ryan iverson

parts collector
8.1 vs 6.0

i have a 03 f350 with the 6.0 i love it it runs like a raped ape and tows anything you want has 130,000 on it. its all about how you do the maintenance on your vehicle.

STPPINZ

I bet that you could convince anyone selling a tow vehicle that you need to load it up and run up Parleys Canyon. If they wont let you do that, dont buy it. I have been impressed with the performance of the 6.0 gasser in some Suburbans I have driven. I would maybe look into how well they pull your load also.

John and I are going to test drive a 2004 8.1L Burb tomorrow. If drives well we might have to bring it by your shop to have you check it out. It has kind of high miles so I am not sure what shape the motor is in...

Last edited:
This is kind of how I have been thinking. I just want to make sure that I am not missing something.

I highly recommend the Excursion, and I'm a diehard chevy suburban guy (I've had two).

I did a LOT of research before selling my '99 454 burb and buying my '02 psd Excursion. I drove lots of X's and burbs. It is my daily driver and I LOVE it. I kept the drivetrain stock until the tranny went (130k miles), and then beefed the tranny and did the chip and stuff. Zoom zoom!

Make sure you test drive LIFTED Excursions, since the stock ones came with crappy front springs and have a horrible ride. First thing I did was swap in F350 front springs and putting airbags in the back (easier than swapping a diesel in a suburban).

Driveability is great (once you ditch the stock front springs). As far as the wife and the pyro, just leave it on a low chip setting if she drives it. My wife just commented that to her, driving the X was about the same as the burb.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have bought it sooner.

Brett

JPTHING

As for the wife, the gasser suburban would be easier to start, easier to park.

Highway towing I would go for the PSD, for in town, the 8.1L

Excursion turning radius 50.4'
Suburban turning radius 35'

Excursion HP/Torque 250/525
Suburban HP/Torque 325/447

oh and the 6.0L gasser in the chevy in 335/375

I used to be a die hard Chevy fan(lost it with 20 yrs of replacing 350's in everything we had owned). Now I am a die hard Ford fan, but I have to agree with you. Nothing rides better than a Chevy, turning radius is great. After owning my 7.3l F-350 Superduty Dually, I now know what a 10 point turn is, and I'm forced to make them every time I go places. I pray for diagonal parking spots, cause Perp. parking is out of the question.

Honestly I would consider which one is more reliable, it's not a Jeep or Toyota gas engine, so the only way you are going to get a half million miles out of it is if you get a Diesel(12v Cummins, or 7.3 PSD only don't waste money on anything else). Just my .02 cents

jgw50

I've got an 01 Chev Suburb with 8.1 and CNG installed. Pretty sweet burning $.89 / gallon fuel and being able to tow 13000 lbs! I love the 8.1, you definitely lose a lot to the turbos at altitude, but for how much more comfortable, driveable, quiet, and cheaper to maintain it is, I sold my PSD a couple of years ago.

On a side note, i've been toying with the idea of selling my burb. Its an 01, LT, 8.1, has nice looking (not 20" bling) but 16" polished aluminum rims, white, tan leather, DVD, heated seats, Blah blah blah. It holds 14 gallons of CNG in addition to the 35 gallons of gas. Its in average condition (I have kids)

Looking to get $10k for it. Last summer it would have sold for $18k and if gas prices go up again ths summer, it will prolly sell for that too!

PM me if your interested.

Love my PSD's we have a 2000 excursion that my wife drives with 4"lift exhaust from turbo back and hypertech and could not be happier. just hit 150,000 miles and have only had to do minor repairs like batteries and an alternator. also have a 2004 f250 with the 6.0 and have had no problems.

Dean