8.1L Suburban vs 6.0 PSD Excursion

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I might be a little late on this thread, but I'll chime in anyway.

I had a 7.3 stroker. It was an extended cab long bed manual trans. I traded it in for an 8.1L crew cab shortbed. The main reason for the trade was to get into a crew cab and my stroker was starting to give me hints of serious issues to come, so I traded it in(yes I fully disclosed what I thought was wrong with it). The 8.1 had 3.73's and 285's on it. It pulled my 8500# travel trailer good...for a gasser. I didn't own it very long(long story don't want to get into it).

I only made one tow trip with my trailer. Salt Lake to Grand Junction. It pulled soldier summit at about 50ish. My stroker could burn it up a lot faster, but really 50 is fast enough. When we were shopping, my wife kept saying "you don't need a diesel" after we bought it she wanted to know why we were going "so damn slow up this hill". My mileage was only about 4-6 while towing and 8-10 empty. My stroker had 3.73's and 315's on it with a 4 stage chip. I always got 9-11 towing and 15ish empty...not great but better than gas. I traded the 8.1 for a 6.6 Dmax. Let me just say BEST TRUCK EVER!!! But that is another story for another thread!

Last edited:

19503a

I have a good friend with a chevy pickup with the 8.1 it tows great and has had no problems at all I tow with a 06 ford with the 6.0 that belongs to a company I work for and it tows fine but does not get good milage about 9-11 depending on what I tow with it I would go with the chevy for what you need

ryan iverson

parts collector
I have a good friend with a chevy pickup with the 8.1 it tows great and has had no problems at all I tow with a 06 ford with the 6.0 that belongs to a company I work for and it tows fine but does not get good milage about 9-11 depending on what I tow with it I would go with the chevy for what you need

chevy is:amy:

schaeferNsons

Dirt Hedz Offroad Club
buy the duramax burb it is the best of both worlds they are a little harder to find but that is what id would do, you get the nice ride of the burb and the duramax the allison trans, in the 2500hd you get 13000 lbs and in the 3500hd you get 15000 lbs