8" lift for the xj

Snowman

Snowmen Do like the ROCKS
I have a skyjacker I love the ride and the flex but If I could change anything I would have to be the noise on the hime joints and the rear leafs oh and I would get the rubicon front axle bracket the one for the upper and lower arms

utahxjer

Originally posted by Snowman
who is it made by

Are u asking about the drop brackets? Cause those are from RE and Trailmaster. In your ealier post I thought that's what you were talking about? When you said, "RE's upper and lower control arm brackets."

jeepzz

I've got the Alcan/BigOffroad 8" leaf pack with my Skyjacker setup. The ride is fine & the front end flexes like mad but the rear doesn't flex for crap! Absolutely no stuff-age. How do I get more flex out of the rear?

Anybody got a daily driver with an 8" lift and 35's that does flex the rear?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Originally posted by jeepzz
I've got the Alcan/BigOffroad 8" leaf pack with my Skyjacker setup. The ride is fine & the front end flexes like mad but the rear doesn't flex for crap! Absolutely no stuff-age. How do I get more flex out of the rear?

Anybody got a daily driver with an 8" lift and 35's that does flex the rear?

Borton, MBryson....., err, actually I don't think either of them are as tall as 8", but 35's are prevelant. 37's too

jeepzz

Originally posted by GroceryGetter

Borton, MBryson....., err, actually I don't think either of them are as tall as 8", but 35's are prevelant. 37's too
Borton's rig(s) are very nice with lots of flex but the full width axles on the Cheromanche aren't very user friendly for my daily driver. Bryson's XJ flexes pretty good too from what I've seen. I've just been stalled out on the Jeep mods as of late and wanted to see if someone had a "miracle in a can" fix for my problem. :D ;)
I'm going to see if a longer dog leg style shackle will allow my highly arc'd springs to compress a little better. I'll probably have to lose one of my leaf springs in the pack to lower the rear back down from the added height the longer shackle provides.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
How do I get more flex out of the rear?

put more weight in the rear. Really. That is a problem with XJ's, they are so light in the rear, that they don't compress the suspension equally with the front.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by Hickey
put more weight in the rear. Really. That is a problem with XJ's, they are so light in the rear, that they don't compress the suspension equally with the front.

A nice tire carrier from Rocklogic 4x4 with a heavy tire and wheel combo will help you out...

XJRear.jpg

Look at the dorks in the reflection of the rear hatch... Lemme guess here... Vonski is on the right side... Carl (I lean) is on the left, and I have no idea who is in the middle taking the pic... :D

jeepzz

Originally posted by Hickey
I really don't think it's a weight issue, I've got plenty already on board and still have lack of rear flex. Here's a pic with the front end doing all the work and the rear doing jack squat. The left rear wheel should be fully stuffed.

DSC02708s.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's due to the highly arc'd Alcans not wanting to compress.

P

pokeyYJ

DSC02708s.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's due to the highly arc'd Alcans not wanting to compress.

Yeah buddy! Time for rear coils!;)

Bart

I really don't think it's a weight issue, I've got plenty already on board and still have lack of rear flex. Here's a pic with the front end doing all the work and the rear doing jack squat. The left rear wheel should be fully stuffed.

Umm, I could be wrong here, but what exactly is supposed to compress the left rear? I'm not putting down the lift, I had one that acted similar, but in reality the lift is so tall that physics is taking over. Gravity is pulling the body that way, so unless something is going to level the body, i.e. anti sway bars in the fron, then that's the way it's going to act.
Bart (been wrong before and it could happen again)

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
My leafs don't have any problems flexing.... Is your brother the same dude that rolled at Little Moab a few Saturdays ago?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Bart

Umm, I could be wrong here, but what exactly is supposed to compress the left rear? I'm not putting down the lift, I had one that acted similar, but in reality the lift is so tall that physics is taking over. Gravity is pulling the body that way, so unless something is going to level the body, i.e. anti sway bars in the fron, then that's the way it's going to act.
Bart (been wrong before and it could happen again)

I agree with Bart. I don't see why the rear would be expected to flex when you are offcamber. If your passenger front were high, then that rear would flex, but it's low so you lean.

Cody

jeepzz

Originally posted by GroceryGetter

I agree with Bart. I don't see why the rear would be expected to flex when you are offcamber. If your passenger front were high, then that rear would flex, but it's low so you lean.

Cody
Take a closer look at the position of the front axle.
The RF wheel is raised and stuffed fully into the fender flare and the LF wheel has the coil completely unloaded and about an inch out of it's seat. A situation like this would usually force articulation at the rear wheels but nothing is going on out back.