8" lift for the xj

Caleb

Originally posted by jeepzz

Take a closer look at the position of the front axle.
The RF wheel is raised and stuffed fully into the fender flare and the LF wheel has the coil completely unloaded and about an inch out of it's seat. A situation like this would usually force articulation at the rear wheels but nothing is going on out back.

no it wouldn;t create flex in the rear...like bart said, when you're that high gravity takes over...to explain it to you, you are on an off-camber position so the you rig is gonna lean over the way of the slope, not into it...the reason your front is stuffed(not saying its not) is cause you are leaning right on it...now if your front right was on a huge rock in that same position then you should get some flex in the rear...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by tweakeyjeep

May I ask why? :)

My bro has had no problem with his rear coils in his XJ... Except 1 when they started to sag and he replaced them.

Too much work for what you get .........mine flexes plenty.....I don't need more.......

jeepzz

I would consider this decent rear flex. (compression and droop)
xjroofrail8.jpg

xjroofrailRon_Stevick0.jpg

I would consider this rear flex... lack there of.
DSC00070s.JPG

Although I understand your point about being off camber, I doubt in this situation that being off camber had much to do with it. The front end is doing all the work. My RF tire is drooped below the rock rail just like the top pic of the teal XJ. The rear axle flex is where the two Jeeps differ in RTI.

Last edited:

Caleb

Originally posted by GroceryGetter
maybe your front is too soft?

I agree with Cody...

BUT think of it this way, when was the last time you saw a vehicle with 8" leaves flex??? You seen a lifted full size with serious flex??? I think the biggest problem is the 8" leaves...like you said earlier you need to pull some (or "a") leaves out and get a longer shackle to get you back to level again...you will prolly sag a lot qicker but you will have your ramp queen flex you want:p

jeepzz

maybe your front is too soft?
That's why I'm considering the Currie Anti-rock, if they ever go into full production for the XJ. :confused: Only a few proto-types floating around.
Originally posted by supergper

BUT think of it this way, when was the last time you saw a vehicle with 8" leaves flex???
Every time I go to Moab. Here's one at over 8 inches AND 37's.
2003_0415_172831AA.JPG

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I guess I just don't understand the tall lift thing.

Once you go over, you realize how 'mall crawl' tall lifts look. Why go 8, when you can fit 35's at 4.5?

Cody

jeepzz

I guess I just don't understand the tall lift thing.

Once you go over, you realize how 'mall crawl' tall lifts look. Why go 8, when you can fit 35's at 4.5?

Cody
Kind of a "taste great, less filling" sort of thing. It's just that I like them both.

I've had my XJ's on it's side before at Little Moab. When it went over, it was an extreme slow motion flop onto it's side with hardly no damage. This was on 33's and 6 inches of lift and yes, the tires did rub on full flex.
Now at 8" and 35's, the front tires still rub at full stuff.