81 chevy 4x4 swap

Greanbeans

I'm going to be getting my hands on a 81 crew cab chevy. I want to convert it over to 4x4 but not 100% the best way to get it done. Just curious as how some might go about doing it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Those are awfully flexy frames. I think you could leaf spring it fairly easily? The 2wd frames are a bit different in the front from what I remember. I haven't ever done a conversion but from talking with people who have, it's not like most other GM stuff where you just bolt stuff on. I might setup something similar to a modern F*rd radius are suspension?

Snag an 8.1L, 4L80e or Allison trans, tcase and swap in a F*rd drivers drop and don't ever look back ?

B2-Bomber

Yep, trimming is involved of the stock 2wd engine crossmember to clear the axle. It already has the correct steering box/pitman setup for crossover steering too. The 4wd version of that truck doesn't even have that

Greanbeans

From what I read the 2wd steering box is supposedly better. Anyone care to elaborate on that. But its just black. Only plan on making it 4wd for winter months as it will be my hauler. And I like the 8.1 idea but I'm leaning more towards 12 valve Cummins and 6 speed manual swap. But that's in time just gotta get it home and get it running for starters. I figured leafs would be much easier to do on it with a divorced tcase. Its already got a 14 bolt out back with the gov locker or detroit. Just thinking a 44 out front and 33s tops

6.2Diesel

I got a 44 in my garage, it's got the steering arm ready to go for cross over steering, warn hubs, chromoly shafts and a Aussie locker. 4.10 gears. Also has brackets for hydro assist. Poison spider diff cover. Go buy a b52 kit from DIY4x and fush package from off-road design. You'll be stylin!

B2-Bomber

The 4wd steering box is only splined on like a quarter of the shaft. So only the stock pitman arm works. And the stock pitman points straight towards the drivers side. And uses a drag link that runs longitudally. And it's only like 15" long. So there is an unsafe amount of bump-steer when it flexes. Not to mention it even is so short that it limits travel too. But the 2wd box is splined all the way around. So any Saginaw pitman will work. And the stock pitman already points forward which is what you need for crossover steering anyway

cheepin

I think the easiest (cleanest)way but a little more money. Is remove all the 2wd suspension and crossmember. Pick up ORD's 4x4 crossmember/motor mounts. This gives plenty of clearance for everything without having to have a tall lift. Add a pair of spring hangers and shackle hangers. You can get them from ORD also. Or DIY4x4.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The frames are quite a bit different. Compare them and the differences are easy to see.

There's no reason to use a divorced case, which is a bigger hassle than using a married one. Plus, you have limited choices for divorced cases: the heavy, somewhat lame 205, or the worse NP200, the old Rockwell cases, or spendy new divorced NP271's out of Kodiaks.