81 CJ5 Tranny fix

OB1

I just picked up a 81 CJ5 that has a chevy 350 with a 4 speed. I haven't got under it yet to see what tranny it is but I do know when you put it in reverse it keeps wanting to pop out and when I drove it it had no third gear. I'm thinking since this trans is in need of a rebuild I thought maybe I would swap in an auto for making life easier on the rocks. My question to you is what transmission should I be looking for? Will most auto's out of a chevy half ton work? I like the kiss method. Just starting my research. My last CJ was a 57 Willy's.81 CJ5.jpg

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If overdrive isn't a big deal to you, a TH350 is what you want. It's short enough for your wheelbase. The donor has to be out of a 4X 4, unless your comfortable rebuilding one.

You'll need to adapt your transfer case to the trans, or change transfer cases!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Just to chime in.

the biggest "opportunity" you will have with putting a auto into a CJ5 is finding a happy medium between wheelbase and driveline length. :)

Just thinking out loud, it seems like the shortest auto you can put behind a 350 is a TH350 with a dana 300.

The Novak website will be a good place to get info...

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
If overdrive isn't a big deal to you, a TH350 is what you want. It's short enough for your wheelbase. The donor has to be out of a 4X 4, unless your comfortable rebuilding one.

You'll need to adapt your transfer case to the trans, or change transfer cases!

I feel cool when I say something that BC agrees with :D

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Just to add, a steering column out of a mid 70's Chev car is a direct replacement for what you have now. I went for the column shift with tilt wheel.

I ran the TH350/D300 combo I'm my 5, you have plenty of room for a CV style driveline even with 4" of lift.

Last edited:

OB1

Thanks BCGPER! I just was thinking how a tilt column would be nice. This is just the info I was hoping for. You guys Rock!!

OB1

Thinking I may just try and rebuild the manual myself. Is this something that a shade tree mechanic like me could do without alot of specialty tools? or should I just let a shop do it. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
If accessing reverse has you shift to the left, you may have an SR4 tranny. If this is the case, you should not waste any time or money on it. The story I remember is that AMC bought up the surplus Pinto trannys when Ford discontinued the line, and that was the original intended use of the SR4. Regardless of it's origin, they are complete garbage. If reverse is to the right (like most manual trannys), it could be a Jeep T4 or T176. The T4 is nothing great and probably won't last long-term, but the T176 is a decent tranny behind that V8.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
And Jeep only used the SR4 in the '80 and '81 CJ's with the GM Iron Duke 151 engine, which has a GM bellhousing pattern, making a SBC swap very easy... there's a very good chance this CJ5 has an SR4 trans.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
And Jeep only used the SR4 in the '80 and '81 CJ's with the GM Iron Duke 151 engine, which has a GM bellhousing pattern, making a SBC swap very easy... there's a very good chance this CJ5 has an SR4 trans.

Yep, the hydraulic clutch is also a dead giveaway.

OB1

Yes, it's to the left. So I guess I'll go back to plan A and start looking for a TH350. As soon as I get the garage squared away so I can get it in there. I'm finally working a 40 hour week and not the 50 to 60 hours I have been the past year.