Jeep 82 cj7 keeps dying

blazennova

I have a cj7 with the 4.2 inline six with the original 2 barrell...The engine acts like it runs out of gas..I have new fuel pump and newer fuel filter... It wont idle when sitting in the driveway either:mad:...Any help would be sweet!!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
So if you have gas at the carb. Is coil sending spark to the distributor? I would also check to see if the starter cylinoid is grounded and or good.

To be sure there is gas getting to the carb you can try and see if the jeep will run on starting fluid. If runs on starting fluid. You have gas problem. If it does the same thing chase down the spark side.

Keep posting up there are a lot of Old cj guys on here that can help.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Do a search for "Nutter bypass". It turns the electronic carb into a normal mechanical carb. 9 out of 10 times that will solve the poor idle problems associated with that carb. Now is a very good time to swap out the 10 miles of vacuum lines as well. It will cure the rest of the problem. If that doesn't sound like much fun, swap the carb out for a Motorcraft 2100. Night and day difference and you get rid of all the vacuum lines. There's a guy on ebay that sells nice kits. I have installed a few of them and really like them.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Sounds like every other CJ out there :)

Those carbs are 28 years old now. They have their share of issues, but over all they work ok. For the price of a rebuild kit (probably $15-$30) and a night of your time you can take that one apart and rebuild it yourself and probably fix the problem. They really are not bad to work on and that may work great with some attention.

As mentioned before the MotorCraft 2100 carb is also an easy upgrade/replacement. Basically you find an old Ford carb, modify it, adapt it and it works really well on those engines. Not a real expensive conversion either, maybe around $100 when you are all said and done.

Yet another option is a new Weber carb that is meant for the engine. They are hundreds of dollars and probalby work about as well as the MC2100. You pay more money, and get more bling, but to me there is no value gained.

I just feel bad when I hear of guys going to a carb shop and being charged $350 to have their stock carb rebuilt when there are so many other options that are better or far cheaper avalible.

I have a 79 that was having a similar issue. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and the carb was recently rebuilt yet the issue remained. Turned out to be the fuel line right on top of the tank had corroded from the inside and became clogged. It is easy to drop the tank a little and check that line if it has never been replaced.

blazennova

Found the problem.....

Well a couple of the vacume lines were cracked so i replaced them and then took the lead wire off the electric choke and the problem stoped...I think its time to replace the carb with a weber..Thanks to everyone!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: