85 4Runner and Inspection

I recently moved back to Utah from Colorado and my, how things have changed. I thought the only issue with registering my lightly built 1985 4Runner would be emissions, but it passed that fine. I'm having a problem with the 'Safety' inspection.

The first place rejected me for no mudflaps, no flares to cover the tires (they only stick out 1"), wheel spacers, bumpers too short, and a torn windshield wiper. The second place wouldn't even look at it - they just said it's too tall.

I can tack on mudflaps and garden edging flares, remove the wheel spacers, and fix the wiper, but I'm not going to cut off and rebuild my bumpers and I can't do much with 'too tall'.

newfrontbumperpic2.jpg

I see a lot of rigs driving around with Utah plates that are far more built than mine. For example, on Saturday evening in Saratoga Springs I saw a Superduty towing 3 rigs (2 Jeeps, 1 4Runner) that were all heavily modified and all had Utah plates.

I almost never drive this on the street, so I may just pursue a recreational vehicle registration, but I would prefer to have a plate on it. Any suggestions (other than 'put it back to stock') would be welcome.

Thanks,

Allan

Taco4life

First off sweet 4runner! Welcome back to Utah, from what I remember your bumpers need to be 4" in height and cover the width of the vehicle. As far as height goes for your an 85 4runner it should be 24" from the ground to the bottom of the frame. Yours looks to be about that height. (what type of lift do you have?) If you have already had someone inspect it, you need to work with that shop in order to get it to pass. You can't take it to another shop once one has failed it.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
install mud flaps, fender flares and tack weld 3 inches of sheet metal to the bumpers underneath what you have already.

chans

I had the same problem with my rear bumper where I needed to add another tube and braces. It needs to be 4.5" height is what I was told. Also from the ground to frame needs to be 26" on vehicles 4,500 to 7,500 gvw which is what your runner should fall in by checking your door tag.

thenag

I had the same problem with my rear bumper where I needed to add another tube and braces. It needs to be 4.5" height is what I was told. Also from the ground to frame needs to be 26" on vehicles 4,500 to 7,500 gvw which is what your runner should fall in by checking your door tag.

Yeah bumpers have to be 4.5 inches, stupid because 4.5 inch steel is hard to come by.

My bronco had 4 inch bumpers and no one ever said anything, neither cop or inspection station. I always had the issue with the big block under the hood.

do a google search for the inspection manual it is available on the state website.

I never wanted to "know a guy" because I didn't want to get "that guy" in trouble, it also seems that lately they have asked the inspectors to be more strict, I have failed for stuff that i wouldn't have in the past. (they failed me for a cracked exhaust manifold... I mean that's not hurting anybody...)

frame height and everything will be in the manual, if you are over you are going to need some smaller tires... (26 sounds like what my xj is supposed to be measured bellow the drivers butt)

nathan
--99 xj with stuff

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts

All true. The 4.5" is supposed to be solid (not tubes with openings), some guys will usually let tubes slide. 4runners are 5280lb GVW that gives you the 26", cops will measure under the driver's seat on the frame rail. I had that argument with my old boss and his brother a Sargent highway patrol officer. My old runner sat exactly at 26" under my seat. If your spacers bolt to your hub and your wheels bolt to them they are adapters and are legal. Spacers go between the wheels and hubs and do not bolt to the hubs themselves.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
how thick are your "spacers" ? if they will suck it in enought o have the fender clear it then take them off and skip the flares for inspection.

Welcome back to utah. Very clean 4 runner!

rollover

For your bumpers heres an idea Just drill and tap two holes on the bottom of the bumper. Cut a tube and bolt it to the bottom. Makes it the best of both worlds. Nice easy option that can be removed after.
Just a thought.

krany

kranberry
if you wanna get away with the height, mudflaps and fenders i have some 31x10.50's you can borrow. they will keep you low and narrow. you wheel spacers can turn into adapters if you say they convert to 6lug standard thread ( what you have) to 6 lug metric threads for tacomas. ypu can possibly get away with telling them your front spring hanger is part of the bumper.

hoosier

mtn yot
DON'T LIE to the inspectors. It seems as though a lot of them have a god complex and they can fail you. There is nothing you can do they have the power. But I would just ditch the spacers, grab some smaller tires from someone on here (a lot of us have some) if you have a hitch I have some mud flaps you can barrow. Then go home and put it all back on. I know it sounds like A LOT of work but it is only once a year and it is not really that hard.

stimmie

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012 SI PLT Manual.pdf

Page 31
2. Check vehicle lift. (Utah Lift Law UCA 41-6a-1631)
a. REJECT when:
1) Frame height is greater than 24 inches on a vehicle with a
GVWR less than 4,500 lbs.
2) Frame height is greater than 26 inches on a vehicle with a
GVWR of 4,500 lbs. and less than 7,500 lbs.
3) Frame height is greater than 28 inches on a vehicle with a
GVWR of 7,500 lbs. or more.
NOTE: Vehicle must be on a flat surface and unladen for all measurements.
Frame height measurement is from the ground to the bottom of the
frame and should be taken on the left side of the vehicle under the
driver’s seat. If the door certification plate has been removed, the
vehicle shall be considered to be 4,500 lbs.

Remove your door certification and then they have to consider your gvwr as 4500 which allows you to be 26" tall for the frame height.

I'm an inspector...... and I don't really see a purpose in wanting people to fail like some of those out there on the front.... It just creates more headaches for all involved.... and if they do the certificate online, ANY station can pass it after it fails...

bschroeder

I had the same problem with my old truck on the height, I took a grinder to my GVWR on my door instead of pullin it off and the guy then passed it, He was actually really cool and told me to do that

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. To answer a couple questions:

Truck has 2.5" OME springs, 2" body lift
Ground to bottom of frame rail under driver's seat is 22.5"

I wish I 'knew a guy'; if any of you want to give me a hint, I'm all ears. I live in Saratoga Springs but travel around the state a lot.

I've already removed the wheel spacers; they are Marlin spacers that bolt to the hub and the wheel to the spacer, but I don't want to argue that point with the inspector - he already knew everything anyway. I need to find another shop.

Hoosier and Krany - I may take you up on your offers - thanks.

I'm warming up to the idea of making new bumpers - I like the front 2" tube, but the back is clunky and I drag it on everything (see pic below). I may replace the 2" tube front and back with 2x5" tube and angle it so I can slide off rocks easier.

Allanpic6.jpg