85 4runner vs 88 xtra cab frame

Yota

I thought this would make for an alright discussion as I've been tossing ideas around in my head for a while...
I have 2 toyotas, an 85 4runner and an 88 xtra cab pickup. Both are efi and the 88 has had the front end swapped to a solid axle.
20120327_180554.jpg

Ultimately I would like to keep the 4runner and have it on the pickup's suspension and tires. My main question is, are the body mounts on the 2 frames different? If so, how hard would it be to have the pickup frame ready for the 4runner body?
The other route I've considered is changing the 4runner's steering box to the ifs style box. And fabricating the spring and shackle mounts to accomodate the chevy rears and toyota rear springs in the front.
I know the 4runner has a shorter wheelbase, I would like to go the body swap route, I'm just wondering if there's any details I'm over looking, and what your guys opinions are as to which route would be the more simple and straight forward one.
Thanks!!

sixstringsteve

I can't answer your question about body mounts, but I do know that the front of the '85 frame is more desirable. It sits lower, so you can have a much lower frame height, and more room for the drag link, if that sort of thing is important to you.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The body mounts are definitely different. I think the rear spring perches are different too, but don't quote me on that.

I'm confused by what you're trying to accomplish though. If the goal is a 4Runner with a longer wheelbase, why not just stretch the '85?

Last edited:

Yota

My goal isn't necessarily a longer wheelbase, I'd just like to have the truck's suspension, steering, and tires under the 4runner. Probably the later model rear axle also.

Last edited:

Yota

thanks steve i love it. it's a shame it just sits in storage. i think i've grown to like it more than my pickup, that's why i wish it was the wheeler.

sixstringsteve

is it too pretty to get all bashed up though? Will you feel bad if you put a huge dent in the side of the runner?

Yota

I don't think I'd ever own something to not drive it. The runner isn't perfect and has a good amount of rust on the back fenders. I'd much rather use it for what it's for and go play in the hills.

4x4addiction

Why not just solid axle swap the four runner and put the axles springs etc.... out of your truck into the runner then part the rest of truck or sell it? I want another extra cab lol

4x4addiction

Ok i was having a blonde moment. The runner already has a solid axle. Why not just pull the springs and stwering out of the truck?