8v Cold Start Issue

mhafen

I have a sammy that I just got an 8v fuel injected engine put into and I have the worst time getting it started in the mornings. I know sammys are cold blooded, but, does anyone have any idea or fix to make it go from a 5-10 minute ordeal to a nice 1-3 minute experience?
Thanks
Mike

zukking01

More specific. What engine....

Stock 1.3 8v transplant from EFI into to your carbed sammy?
1.3 8v transplant from tracker?
1.6 8v transplant from tracker?

STAG

On my grind
I'd give the HEET fuel additive a try, also I'd put somethin in front of the radiator to limit it's airflow so your coolant heats up quicker. Lots of people use cardboard, my duramax came with a specially made leather grill cover for the winter.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I have a sammy that I just got an 8v fuel injected engine put into and I have the worst time getting it started in the mornings. I know sammys are cold blooded, but, does anyone have any idea or fix to make it go from a 5-10 minute ordeal to a nice 1-3 minute experience?
Thanks
Mike

I've been chasing a cold start issue for awhile as well and have eliminated a lot. What exactly is yours doing?

mhafen

The starter is turning and the will fire but it hates to stay started I have to gas it and run the starter for a few extra turns to keep it running and then its a 3-5 minute warm up process.
I've been chasing a cold start issue for awhile as well and have eliminated a lot. What exactly is yours doing?

zukking01

Maybe the coolant temp sensor is not reading right causing it to think it is cold for a while.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I'd give the HEET fuel additive a try, also I'd put somethin in front of the radiator to limit it's airflow so your coolant heats up quicker. Lots of people use cardboard, my duramax came with a specially made leather grill cover for the winter.

does your truck not have a thermostat or something?

STAG

On my grind
does your truck not have a thermostat or something?

Yes it does but when you put something to cover the radiator it limits the airflow pulled by your engine fan and therefore let's your engine heat up faster. Thermostats just make it so that the coolant is sitting in your radiator longer and so the coolant gets really cold and then the thermostat opens and let's all that chilled coolant rushes into your engine and delays the warm-up time of your engine. Radiator covers help prevent this, one sec i'll post a pic of my radiator cover that came with my truck.

STAG

On my grind
This is a leather cover that was a dealership option. It has another piece that covers up the Chrome bumper but I would have had to take off my brush guard to install it, and then put my brush guard back on.

imag0224be.jpg

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
But if the thermostat is closed, isn't the coolant in the block is trapped there and is going to heat up regardless of whats going on elsewhere? The coolant in the radiator is already at ambient temp, it can't get too much colder with the same temp air blowing over it. If the OP's sami has an electric fan then it really wouldn't matter.

I'd say the simplest way to warm it up faster is to install an offroad handthrottle and just set it at 2000rpm for a couple minutes.