9" won't seal!!

4x4phil

78 ford f150 with a 9" rear. I replaced the third member. Then my shafts started leaking. Put new bearings and seals on the shafts. One side is fine. The other still leaks. When I removed the bearing race on the drivers side, the damn thing wouldn't budge. I had to rent one of those hammer puller things to get it out. But it was still really snug pressing back in. Was I supposed to put some sort of sealer around the outside of the new bearing? Where did I mess up?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The seals on those axles are super picky about the way they are installed, and the way the retainer is bolted on... If they (bearing race AND seal) are not fully seated before you bolt the retainer on you risk damaging the seal when you snug down the retainer nuts...

Some people use silicone around the outer edge of the seal when installing them, but as long as the bearing pocket is in good shape and the seal is properly (carefully) installed the silicone is not necessary.

Unfortunately, the leaky side probably has to come off again. Check the seal for any nicks or cuts on the inner and outer seal surfaces, and if it looks ok, reinstall it VERY carefully. Find damage on the seal, and you get to replace it again! Good luck.:)

4x4phil

Unfortunately, the leaky side probably has to come off again. Check the seal for any nicks or cuts on the inner and outer seal surfaces, and if it looks ok, reinstall it VERY carefully. Find damage on the seal, and you get to replace it again! Good luck.:)

Crap. That's what i thought but didn't wanna hear. Thanks for the info.

I've been pressing the bearing in with the retainer. Turning each bolt a couple of times till it's tight. Is that the right way?