91' FJ80 Engine Swap?

cjfj80

I've been doing a load of research on trying to get more mileage for my $$.
The wrong vehicle for that I know but I like my 80.

The common swaps are the V8, Cummins or newer FJ motor.

I was told 18 mpg from a 5.3 Vortec, 24+ from the Cummins.
Cost I am leaning towards the Vortec and full chev trans and t-case.
Doing away with the AWD and going part time.

Anyone on here done this? Or any ideas if the mpg is really 18ish.
Thanks.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The 5.3 would be great in a FJ80, I almost did that one myself. Most any diesel will be very cost prohibitive, I almost started a Cummins 4BT swap but after buying the engine, the cost of needed part alone was over $3k.

You will need to keep a Toyota transfer-case, as the rear t-case output and rear axle are offset. I good idea would be to get a t-case from an late 80's FJ60, so you can have part-time 4WD.

So, 5.3 to (probably) 4L60E adapted to a FJ60 split-case t-case. That way you'll have plenty of power, a good overdrive, a gear-driven t-case and part time 4WD, resulting in better power and mileage versus full-time. You will need to put hub on the front axle, but that's easy. Hard to say what kind of mileage a 5.3 would return, but with a light foot and easy driving, I think 17-18 MPG is within reason.

One more option is a GM 6.2/6.5 diesel, with either a NV4500 or a 700R4, whatever you prefer and will get the best mileage. That would be a neat swap, but those engine have a pretty bad reputation. That said, I would like to build one up and swap it into a clean FJ60. They aren't 'quick' engines though, lots of torque, but it might feel only a little better than your current 3FE.

I think a 6.2 with the right gearing setup (tires, axle gearing, overdrive) could pull down 20 MPG.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
You will need to keep a Toyota transfer-case, as the rear t-case output and rear axle are offset. I good idea would be to get a t-case from an late 80's FJ60, so you can have part-time 4WD.

I know a junk yard with one of these.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Another swap to consider, the one I'm looking into for my 97 cruiser is the 2uz-fe 4.7 out of the 100 series land cruisers and tundras, ive heard you get about 18 mpg with that motor and you can use the whole drive train out on the 100 series to get your offset diff. I've also heard rumors that you can swap bell housing to get the motor to bolt up to the 80 series tranny, can anyone confirm that? This motor would be more emissions friendly(factory option in newer models) and would keep it all Toyota. Both would help your resale over a chev motor.

Greg

Admin
The tcase would be 150$ from them pm if you want to get it

Those split-cases are best if you can get the transmission and t-case together, since there are loose part between the mating of them. If you can get them together, $300 wouldn't be a bad deal.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Those split-cases are best if you can get the transmission and t-case together, since there are loose part between the mating of them. If you can get them together, $300 wouldn't be a bad deal.

300$ is what they would charge for both, also there are 2 of them so you could pick. I will stop in and tell you years tomorrow

cjfj80

I'd like some more info on putting that 4.7 toy motor. Any idea where that can be found?
I do also like the idea of sticking with all toyota.

Greg

Admin
IMO it's going to cost you 2x more to keep it Toyota. Nothing wrong with that at all, but Chevy engines are so commonly swapped, the process had been done over & over and is easy to duplicate into just about any vehicle.

My 2 cents... :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
IMO it's going to cost you 2x more to keep it Toyota...

Absolutely agree, if not more. For some the end product is going to be worth the cost. Given the longevity and cleanliness of a swap kit from Slee I'd be partial to it personally, resell value, ease of replacement parts versus custom adapters, etc. For those with more affinity to the GM stuff it would make zero sense to pay out for the 4.7 when the GM could be par on nearly all levels. Toyota guys and more specifically Land Cruiser aficionados are pretty funny about things like this, they will pay not only double for the parts but double for a complete vehicle that is all Toyota versus one that is a mutt of parts. No slight to either faction and I myself have been known to spend far more on a personal project to keep it Toyota than I would have by swapping to something domestic. :D

Greg

Admin
:rofl: Yeah, I know where you are coming from, especially when dealing with Land Cruiser guys!

My background with 4x4's started with yanking out a weak stock engine and welding motor mounts for a healthy SBC. Plus, my frugal nature dictates that anything I do is done a cheap is possible. I wish I would have stuffed a 5.3 into my old FJ80, I think it would have been a great setup. Even then, as mentioned above, I think a 6.2 diesel into either a FJ80 or 60 would be pretty cool, done right.

Greg

Admin
As for the OP, I doubt the 4.7l will get more more than 15-16 MPG in an FJ80. Our factory 4Runner with a 4.7, which is full-time 4WD, pulls down between 15-17 MPG, averaging right around 15.5 MPG.

If the stock 3FE is getting 11-12 MPG, a gain of 4-5 MPG will take a long time to justify the cost of any swap. When it comes to engine swaps, it's really hard for me to justify a small mileage gain to the expense and effort. If you're doing it because you want more power, than that's a different story. Just don't fool yourself thinking that you'll be saving money doing the swap.

cjfj80

Thanks for all the input. I would like power gain. This old 3fe is more gutless then several others I've driven. Any mileage I gain is a plus. I've found a 4.7 with trans for about $1500. What woudl have to be done with the tcase?

I do personally like the 5.3 option. The adapter from chev to toy (t-case) is $1000 on it's own from AA. I am in no hurry to get this done. $$$ does not let me hurry. I figure I'll just gather parts as money comes in and when everything is together make the swap.

I put a 350 in a 81' toy pickup a few years back. This beast is a whole different story.
Again thanks for the input. I'm still pricing out the rest of the chev parts and I'll post some build pics once it's underway.