91 Wrangler Clutch Problem

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Hey guys......my buddy has a 91 Wrangler 4.0 Manual tranny that seems to have a clutch problem. His master cylinder went out so we replaced it, bled the hydraulic clutch throwout, and it returned to normal. 2 weeks to the day he lost clutch pressure and pedal travel. We again bled the throwout and added fluid. It returned to normal. This time we thought that maybe it was leaking, so we started parking it on a piece of cardboard at night. No leaks. Not even a little!!!! 2 weeks later........same problem. In the past 6 weeks, we have bled the clutch and added fluid 3 times. Is his clutch failing? Is this normal? Something just doesn't seem right. Please help.

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
We had a new clutch kit a few months back and looked at the new one compared to the one he has installed.....they look the same. The one that he has is in good condition. Problem is, when the master cylinder went out it got a lot of dirt into the system........when we replaced it, drained all the fluid out, then bled the system, it was very dark in color. We went through 3 bottles of fluid trying to clean out the system. The fluid is clear now but we're still losing something somewhere. As soon as we bleed the system, it returns to good pressure.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
No I'm not saying "what does the slave cylinder look like compared to the other" what I trying to say is are you sure the slave cylinder isn't leaking??

P

pokeyYJ

Well I know that the 4.0L uses a different tranny, but........... I had to replace my whole hydralic setup when it started leaking. When I noticed that I was losing clutch travel I started looking for fluid leaks, it took about 3 months before I noticed something come out of the bell housing. I figure that the fluid was leaking onto the clutch disc and getting spit everywhere.