93 GC np231 t-case swap

BlackWiddow

I have a 1993 GC with the 5.2 and the 44re trans and np249 t- casewith a bad viscouse coupler and am looking for info on which np231 t-case will swap into it.any info will be appreciated.

gertsch

What we did for my buddy's is got a 231 and swapped the inputs out from the 249 into the 231 and bolted it up. Real easy. I believ u will want a tcas that's a 91-95 cause the planetary gear cut on the teeth is the same. I believe it changed in 96 or 97.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Having done several of these, it's a good idea to buy a new input shaft. I swapped input shafts from my old 249 into a new 231, and because my input shaft had some wear on it, it caused it to mesh a little off..which caused pressure on the shift forks...which melted the plastic pads on the shift forks....which caused the shift fork to explode...which caused it to be locked in 4 lo...which caused me to drive home 70 miles on the freeway in low range.

Also, I can't remember which years, but certain years of 231's have steel shift forks and some years have aluminum. The steel is preferable for durability. In 93, there isn't any rhyme or reason for input shaft length and you could have 1 of 3 different lengths. Once you pull out your case, you will know and you can either go to a place like Tourist Transmission and buy a new one, or swap your old one over. Like I said, my experience swapping parts didn't work out so well, but others have done it without incident.

Cody

BlackWiddow

Thank you for the info guys. gertsch, I might need some help getting the t-case together an getting it in, just been working long hours trying to get the money together to get it changed. Will my shifter still work for the 231? the viscous coupler has been bad for awhile now and just getting sick of the jerking after it gets heated up. What is the price range of a new input shaft for the swap?