95 Dodge 2500 Cummins

ewander

I have the opportunity to buy a 95 dodge 3/4 ton extended cab cummins. It belongs to my brother in law, so I know exactly what has been done to it. It has 200K miles on it, but runs extremely well. It has had the injector pump, injectors, etc.... replaced. He is making me a very good deal.

It does have death wobble right now.....I believe a new track arm is in order....any idea who makes the best aftermarket one? Possibly a moog setup?

Any concerns with purchasing this year and engine?

Thanks,

Eric

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
On the track bar, Shane told me about a Napa unit that has a lifetime warranty. It's about $100, once it loosens up you trade it in on another new one. I'd guess you can get a good amount of time out of the new track bar.

I bought a Lukes Link for my '99, but never installed it. It basically encapsulates the end that wears & adds an adjustable piece that you tighten at the first sign of slop.

The best thing, and probably the most expensive, is a kit that allows you to install a newer, updated track bar that doesn't have the same problems. You use that kit in conjunction with a 3rd Gen track bar. I forgot the name, but if you do some searching I'd imagine you'll find it.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
You say the injector pump and maybe some and/or all injectors have been replaced? How about the transfer pump?

Some people get the "injector" and "transfer" pumps mixed up when refering to the pumps. If the injector pump has been recently replaced (which is the much more expensive of the two), that would be an incentive to buy if the deal is good and rig is in good shape. If the transfer pump is also relatively new, then thats a nice bonus...

Meat_

Banned
..The best thing, and probably the most expensive, is a kit that allows you to install a newer, updated track bar that doesn't have the same problems. You use that kit in conjunction with a 3rd Gen track bar. I forgot the name, but if you do some searching I'd imagine you'll find it.

That's what I'm going to do to mine when the time comes. Here's an example of it, I don't think this is the one I settled on though....

ewander

You say the injector pump and maybe some and/or all injectors have been replaced? How about the transfer pump?

Some people get the "injector" and "transfer" pumps mixed up when refering to the pumps. If the injector pump has been recently replaced (which is the much more expensive of the two), that would be an incentive to buy if the deal is good and rig is in good shape. If the transfer pump is also relatively new, then thats a nice bonus...

It was definitely the injector pump, but I'm not sure abou the transfer pump. He put 3K into it w/in the last year...that included a new starter and alternator, along with the injectors......I think I am going to go for it.

ewander

Well, I bought it. When I picked it up I actually took a new track bar with me to install, and was surprised when I looked under it and it had a new track bar already on it! It drove great all the way home and it pulled slightly to the right. On closer inspection, it needs upper ball joints and an alignment. Other than that is runs and pulls extremely strong. It leaks some oil.....but I think I will enjoy this truck. It has a dent in the driver side front fender and needs a tail gate.

Does anyone know where I could find a decent used tail gate for this truck? I assume all 94-97 have the same tail gate.

Eric

ewander

Alright, I pulled my jeep down to Price today (will go to Moab tomorrow) and I was only able to pull 55 mph up billy's mountain and then 60 mph up soldier's summit. My rig and trailer maybe weigh 6k lbs. Is this normal for the 95 12 valve cummins? Keep in mind, these were the steepest part of the hills.

Again, this one has new injectors and a new injector pump. Has anyone done the TST performance kit?

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited:

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Alright, I pulled my jeep down to Price today (will go to Moab tomorrow) and I was only able to pull 55 mph up billy's mountain and then 60 mph up soldier's summit. My rig and trailer maybe weigh 6k lbs. Is this normal for the 95 12 valve cummins? Keep in mind, these were the steepest part of the hills.

Again, this one has new injectors and a new injector pump. Has anyone done the TST performance kit?

Thanks,

Eric

You'll find alot of answers here www.dieseltruckresource.com/ :)

ewander

Update

I thought I wouuld give everyone and update on this truck I bought. Refresher:

1995, CTD, Standard Trans, 161k miles.

I love this truck! It is a blast to drive. I have fixed a few things on it like:

New Head Gasket and Head (it had a small seap near the thermostat housing), replaced a broken valve while in there. Everything from the top looked great.
New brakes all around
Pulled, cleaned and rodded the radiator, new hoses
New Ball Joints and unibearings on the 60
Open air intake
slight bump in power with the fuel plate

This old truck tows my jeep very well and has become my daily driver. It's AC blows really cold and it is fun to drive on the freeway (tons -o- power).

I am planning on putting another 150K on this bad boy.....we will see how that goes, it runs great though!

Eric