96 dodge cummins tranny conversion

KToy

so i blew my auto tranny i think and i want to convert to a manual.

anyone know anything about this as far as labor involved and price or anyone selling a kit that does it ?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
the cheapest tranny I could find- I imagine you would want a nv4500 or a 5600 was 1300 in utah and it's the only one. 1000 bucks in the states or new was like 23-2400. I'd just put the money towards a bullet proof rebuild and call it good for 10 years

KToy

i paid 3000 for the truck and i got offerd 8000 for the truck with the blown tranny.

i can buy one off ebay for 350 local the same tranny i currently have.

this is the 5th tranny the truck has had at 300,000 miles

PSD_FTW

Unfortunately switching trannys can be pretty involved under the best circumstances. At the least you will need a 4WD version of the manual you are looking for (Or the tail housing from a 4WD version) - A set of all the pedal and clutch hardware down to the bellhousing (Which may require taking the dash apart - you have to replace the whole pedal-bracket that usually helps support the steering column.) They are almost never the same length which of course means different driveshafts and often a specific transmission crossmember. The Flywheel, Clutch, Bellhousing and clutch articulation hardware which often does not come with a bare transmission. Shifter hardware which may include a tunnel cover and all the bezels/boots and what not for the interior.

Wiring is usually not a big issue going auto>manual but don't quote me on the dodges; I'm not familiar with the computer. I know the AODE mustang swap guys never felt like the car ran the same with a Manual on an Auto computer.

It's an involved and considering you don't find the 5.9L trucks in the junkyard it can get expensive to pick up all the parts you need. It certainly isn't an afternoon project.

KToy

well i found a site that says its a days worth of work and not too expensive so ima look into it.

but for 3000 a guy will build my auto to be bullet proof.

crashdghost

I did this in 2000 on a 96. It'll cost you around $3000. you need flywheel, pressure plate,clutch, bellhousing,pedals, slave cyl, a new gear in your t-case because the outputs are different, seems like I had to move the cross member a little,a different tranny mount, a new front section of the drive shaft. also be careful about older nv4500s
if you tow in 5th the gear will rattle off of the tail shaft of the tranny. I went through 3 auto trannys my self but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

KToy

im getting my auto built tough.... i only use the truck for like 5000 miles a year so it should last plenty long time. im getting 3 clutch plates and a billet torque converter and another tranny cooler.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Keep the auto! OK stock 4 stock the manuals even the old GetRags were better....much, much better, but auto's have SOOO much more potential. Look at the top sled pullers, and drag trucks out there I'd say at least 8 out of 10 are automatics. When built right and kept cool your auto will survive. They are not cheap to built, but when you look at the cost/headaches of converting it starts to look pretty good.

FYI: Check out ATS or Napd.ca these guy's are really good to work with ;)