96 grand vibes HELP !!!!!!!!

mattvw65

96 GRAND V8

When I'm cruising at highway speeds of about 65-85 when I let off the accelerator a sound develops that sounds like you are driving over those things off the side of the road to wake you up..... Increases then fades, until I get of the accelerator and the car gears back into normal cruising. It sounds like it is coming from the middle-left of the car and maybe 2 feet back from the drivers seat. A small vibration is also associated with the sound I have replaced the u joints in the rear drive line had both diff's re built and replaced the ft drive line ??????????? i think it is the transfer case ..

Matt

kikn93ZJ

Top Dawg
I sort of had the same thing goin on. Then I took out my 3" + 2" BB set up and 31s on stock rims, and installed a RE 4.5" kit with 33s on 767s and the vibes went away. Go figure....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I had the same thing. I swapped to a 231 t-case and fixed yoke rear d-line and it went away. Is it lifted? If it's lifted, try adjsting the control arms (assuming you have adjustable CA's) a little to mess w/ the pinion angle. That may solve the problem.

Cody

Vinnie Boy

I love my job
In my wife's jeep it was the t-case.
I did a drop kit and it fix the shake. How big is the jeep?
Is it a full time 4x4? It may ned a slip kit and new driveline.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
sounds like you need at least adjustable lowers so you can mess w/ the pinion angle. I was as high as 8" w/ the 249 case and never had to lower the case or get new drivelines. Always got the vibes dialed out w/ adjustable arms.

Cody

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
I have the same set-up.....3 inch lift with 2 BB.....mind vibrates around 70 or 75 and up......so I just drive 60mph now:D my tires are also out of round and make a lot of noise and vibration also.....it took a lot to get them balanced in the first place......are your tires new??

mattvw65

GroceryGetter

sounds like you need at least adjustable lowers so you can mess w/ the pinion angle. I was as high as 8" w/ the 249 case and never had to lower the case or get new drivelines. Always got the vibes dialed out w/ adjustable arms.

Cody

had all the angles checked and there all good ???

CryogenicZJ

I have the same set-up.....3 inch lift with 2 BB.....mind vibrates around 70 or 75 and up......so I just drive 60mph now my tires are also out of round and make a lot of noise and vibration also.....it took a lot to get them balanced in the first place......are your tires new??

tires ar around a year old ????

:confused: this sux....... :confused:

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
O.K. one more thing I just remembered......did you get a new front trac-bar or a relocation bracket?? When I first installed my POS relo bracket, I noticed that no matter how hard I torqued the bolts down, it still moved a little.......so I welded the relocation brackets on front and rear.......no more movement from the tracbars!!!:D Cody even checked my front tracbar and said it looked good!!! I'm having an upper control arm bushing problem though.......if your lift didnt come with new upper control arms, I suggest you get some soon!!! Mine have completely worn the stock bushings out.......they don't exist. I get a lound pop when I turn sharp! I'm sure this also gives me some of my vibration upfront. Especially since it didn't do it when I first installed the lift.......just now, after about 1000 miles. Just something else you might want to check;) Good luck and keep us posted.

-Paul

Originally posted by CryogenicZJ
O.K. one more thing I just remembered......did you get a new front trac-bar or a relocation bracket?? When I first installed my POS relo bracket, I noticed that no matter how hard I torqued the bolts down, it still moved a little.......so I welded the relocation brackets on front and rear.......no more movement from the tracbars!!!:D Cody even checked my front tracbar and said it looked good!!! I'm having an upper control arm bushing problem though.......if your lift didnt come with new upper control arms, I suggest you get some soon!!! Mine have completely worn the stock bushings out.......they don't exist. I get a lound pop when I turn sharp! I'm sure this also gives me some of my vibration upfront. Especially since it didn't do it when I first installed the lift.......just now, after about 1000 miles. Just something else you might want to check;) Good luck and keep us posted.

-Paul

If this was the case he'd be feeling the vibes through the wheel. It's deffinitely drivetrain related.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
most likely drivetrain, but there are some weird side effects from tracbars.

I don't htink it's in the t-case. Have you tried to have your driveline balanced?

Cody

mattvw65

Originally posted by GroceryGetter
most likely drivetrain, but there are some weird side effects from tracbars.

I don't htink it's in the t-case. Have you tried to have your driveline balanced?

Cody

Have you tried to have your driveline balanced?
tomorrow at 6 states
:)