'96 Tacoma sas cheap.

oxbronco

So I might be picking up my brother in laws tacoma for next to free. The reason i want to swap in axles is because the the ifs has some pretty major damage and I priced the parts to fix it and it was just under a grand. I want to do this as cheap as possible. Im a welder by trade so Im not worried about welding or fab. The main things I was wondering is what steering box should I use, what is the best option for a steering shaft, what leaf springs would you recommend (Im only looking for like 3" of lift). Im probably just going to run a 44 in the front, not sure what axle for the rear. Thanks for any info and advice!

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I am not an expert by any means, But I would look into a Jeep Wagoneer front D44 out of the 81-90's. as its the right width (not the vac disco one though), and lug pattern to match your current rear axle, also has the option of hy-steer with the Chevy/Jeep flat top knuckles.

I have seen people use the Wagoneer front leafs, but not sure on lift height. and IIRC you should be able to use the earlier IFS steering box. but I am sure someone will correct me or give you more info.