Wanted 97-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ AT 4.0L 4x4

BzJeep

Recently traded in my 18 JLUR for a 21 GCL for the wife and now I'm in the market for a clean (and stock) 97-01 XJ with the AT and 4.0L (4x4 obviously). I'm based out of Utah County, but would be willing to drive pretty much anywhere in the state for the right vehicle. Hoping to find something with a clean interior (no stains/tears) and minimal exterior damage. I'm looking for a mostly stock vehicle that I can build my way; however, if it has a budget boost or minor exterior mods, that wouldn't be a deal breaker. I'm looking to spend under $10,000. Mileage isn't a major issue unless it hasn't been well-maintained and had the usual components replaced properly.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
A $10k budget should get you every XJ in the state!:p

But, clean, unmolested XJs are definitely getting harder to find... Good luck with the hunt.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ryan Ward (@dr moab) has a recently restored unit that would be about $15-18k but should be well built. You’d likely need to scrounge him up on Facebook. I’m not sure how serious he is/was about selling but I hear he’s happy enough with a diesel Gladiator he’s swearing off the XJ thing?

JeeperG

Ryan Ward (@dr moab) has a recently restored unit that would be about $15-18k but should be well built. You’d likely need to scrounge him up on Facebook. I’m not sure how serious he is/was about selling but I hear he’s happy enough with a diesel Gladiator he’s swearing off the XJ thing?
Yeah but he switched that to a manual transmission.

Edit...here's a shot I stole from his gram.

Screenshot_20211108-233120.png

Last edited:

BzJeep

That's a sweet XJ! I found a decent vehicle about 30 minutes from me that I went and looked at recently; however, I wasn't able to sell the wife on it. It was a little rough around the edges even though it had already had most of the common issues fixed. For now, it looks like I get to find a commuter and punt the project Jeep down the road a little further.