97 4.3L V6 vs 01 4.8L V8

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Ihave access to a wrecked 97 astro van with a 4.3 in it for next to nothing. I also have access to a wrecked 01 chevy with a 4.8 v8 in it for 800 to 1000. i know the swaps for 4.3s have been done, anybody ever done a 4.8L v8? I want to swap my 88runner, I don't know if the 4.8 will bolt up to say an old turbo 350. Also wondering if there is a way to adapt the toy tranny to the 4.3, I think it would hold up to a v6. Anybody got any info? Thanx

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
What axles will you be running? If you're keeping the Toyota parts I think you'd be better off with the 4.3, less torque to break parts. It's probably much easier to fit the 4.3 in the engine compartment as well.

I do have an adapter to bolt a TH350 to a Toyota t-case. I was going to swap a 4.3 into my 4Runner and bought it used, now I've decided against it just because I want to build something else.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
I'm sticking with the toy axles for now, i'm a little undecided on birf eliminators or upgraded birfs. Just trying to decide what motor to do I'm sure the 4.3will probably be the more cheaper and easier route. i'll keep that adapter in mind as i already have a t-350 auto in the shed.

Greg

Admin
Yeah, a 4.3 would definatley be easier & cheaper. There's some good info on POR in the Toy section about that swap, including info about sourcing some factory tubular manifolds (much like a header) that come on Astros, which fit great in a Toyota frame. Your parts van might even have those on it!

As for the axle upgrade, I'd look into a set of Longfields from Bobby Long. I was impressed with what I saw 2 weeks ago, Toy axles turning 39" tires on an abusive trail. They're very strong! And you'll need that if you swap in a 4.3. :D

I have the adapter posted on here & a few other places, I'm really looking to sell it soon. If you are interested, let me know.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Greg,
Thanx for the tip on the manifolds, & I will check on POR for some tech. I would love to jump on the adapter, but i need to look into everything further first, and I'm planning on the swap sometime next summer after my fiance gets out of nursing school and i'm not paying all the bills. I need to do some asking around about the bellhousing adapter from Advanced also, see if anybody has used the stock tranny behind the 4.3L. I like an auto for wheeling, but for some reason i like my manual in my toy. Know if you have to do a body lift with the 4.3, like you do with a 350? I'd like to stay away from a body lift.

Greg

Admin
Glad to help! I think running a Toyota 5 speed behind a 4.3 would be questionable, at best. I just don't think the tranny is up for handling the power of a 4.3. I understand the transmission desire, everyone has their prefrences. I don't believe you need a body lift though.

No prob on the adapter, thought I'd mention it. :)

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Been doin some reading in between posts, and i think your right about the tranny bein a little weak. I can't swing the adapter till after the hoidays though I'm makin a trip back to Michigan for christmas. If it sells fast great if not, i just might snatch it up after the boom is over. You live near Junction, maybe sometime this summer we a trail or two in Moab, I've only run a few myself, but i'm gettin better.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
I'm running a 4.3 out of a 97 S-blazer. It's in my 1990 YJ. I originally had it bolted to the AX-15 stock 5spd. tranny. It held up just fine & I'm running 36x13.50 tires with 4.88 gears. All of my buddy's went with V8's & now they wish they had the 4.3. It has plenty of power, less vibration & is extremely responsive. I love the extra room under the hood. It's easier to work on, the front end is lighter & I have room for an extra air tank. Go with the 4.3 you wont regret it. Besides it's s rock crawler. Not a drag racer.....

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
True. I work as a mechanic, and we also havew a towing/impound service, The 01 Chevy is a rollover we've had for 8 mos., and we just got got the 97 astro. I immediatley jumped on the 4.3L, because of size and power. My boss was trying to get me to buy the 4.8, more money for him. Just thought I'd toss the Idea to some people and see what you guys thought. Just Need to find some writups on wiring and such. And look into transmissions.