97 jeep tj problems.....?

AimlessB

My 97 wrangler sport 4.0L is cutting out at freeway speeds after about 5 miles. It almost seems like a fuel issue, but this is the first jeep I have owned and before I spent $200 plus on a new fuel pump and spend the time to drop the tank and replace it, I was wondering if this is a common issue? And if so if it might have a differant cause.

any help would be awsome

thanks Aimless B
20136_1306200610786_1103666505_2448029_2911441_n.jpg

Cherokeester

Bad sensors do not always throw codes I have found out on my TJ and Cherokee. Both of which have had bad O2 sensors and have behaved exactly as you are describing. Check your cap and rotor for gunk buildup and your wires for any arcing issues.

Bart

One other thing you could check is your muffler and/or cat. If one has hit a rock, there could be floating pieces that will block the flow causing a similar problem.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
One other thing you could check is your muffler and/or cat. If one has hit a rock, there could be floating pieces that will block the flow causing a similar problem.

Happened to me about 6 years back, broke the pieces down so they came out and put it back together.

rholbrook

My TJ that you lifted for me at Kenely had this same problem. The faster I went the worse it ran because the cat was sliding back and plugging the exhaust.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I just had to replace the fuel pump on my wifes 97 TJ (105K miles). It would run fine, then just suddenly cut out and die. At first it was only once every few weeks, then it started happening more frequently, maybe once a day or more. She would pull over, and after a few minutes it would start and be fine again for a while. The new pump seems to have solved the problem, it has been running great now for two months. I had a similar problem with my 95 Dodge a few years ago, and it was also the fuel pump.

AimlessB

thanks for all the help and info!!!

this morning it was doin it again on the way to work so i borrows a fuel system pressure gauge from a co-worker (thanks frank) and hung it out the side of the hood so i could see it and took it for a test drive.
as soon as I got out on the road it started to do it and the pressure was dropping to about 20psi. I looked the specs up online and it should never drop below 35psi and average should be between 45-50psi. so i decided to go ahead with the fuel pump and it seems to have fixed the issue.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
this morning it was doin it again on the way to work so i borrows a fuel system pressure gauge from a co-worker (thanks frank) and hung it out the side of the hood so i could see it and took it for a test drive.
as soon as I got out on the road it started to do it and the pressure was dropping to about 20psi. I looked the specs up online and it should never drop below 35psi and average should be between 45-50psi. so i decided to go ahead with the fuel pump and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Did you replace the filter while it was apart?