98 tj speedo and rear droop problems!!!!!!

travK5

I just got my 98 tj about a week ago. On the trip home i noticed that the speedo would jump now and again. I made a quick stop to the dealership, had a little chat with a service guy and we thought that it might just be the speed sensor. So i purchased a new speed sensor for 38$, and thought that i would take my chances (cuz those guys want 65$ to plug it in). Put on the new sensor and that damn thing still jumps. Even when i am sitting still!!! So i don't think that it could be the little pinion gear inside of the t-case.
Anyways i have no clue what to look for now. Any Ideas would be of great help. I don't want to take it to get serviced for fear of being raped!!!
And another question! It has a 4 inch lift, rides a little rough, so i was thinking about changing the springs but when i went to change out the rears i noticed that the drivers side when jacked up wouldn't droop as far as the passenger side. all of the control arms have fresh grease, and so does the track bar. but the track bar is still limiting the travel of the drivers side rear tire. what is the best (cheepest, easiest) way to fix that so that the rear end will work evenly.

I have no idea what suspension is on it, but it has black round tublar lower arms. and the rear springs when removed felt a lot softer than the teraflex 3.5 inch rear springs.

oh ya it is a 98 tj with a manual tranny!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
There is a depth adjustment for the speedo gears on the t-case. Loosen up the fork looking thing and turn the speedo housing to adjust. You don't want it too deep or too far away. I'm betting that it is too far away and causing the jumping (too much backlash).

As far as the rear... Most likely the track bar. There are probably several different fixes for that rear track bar. Is there any kind of relocation bracked on it or anything?

travK5

Yes the rear end has a relocation bracket. It raised it up about 4 inches. But i was just jacking the rear end up with a handi man in my garage, so that might put a little bit of a bind on the suspension. It seems to droop alright when i wheel it. But i want it to be able to droop all the way to the bottom of the shocks travel, without any sort of binding. So that the rear spring is just barely hanging in the mounts!

I will try to adjust the speedo like you said. And i will report. thanks

S

sukaB

travK5 said:
Yes the rear end has a relocation bracket. It raised it up about 4 inches. But i was just jacking the rear end up with a handi man in my garage, so that might put a little bit of a bind on the suspension. It seems to droop alright when i wheel it. But i want it to be able to droop all the way to the bottom of the shocks travel, without any sort of binding. So that the rear spring is just barely hanging in the mounts!

I will try to adjust the speedo like you said. And i will report. thanks

Yo
Your better off just trying to flex it evenly when wheelin...Aint gonna happen with factory configuration...
As far as the speedo gear goes.. It has a dial adjustment on it and has to match the proper tooth gear in it and and has to be located in the proper spot to function properly...
This is a JOB SECURITY feature to insure the over priced labor (65 an hour) that all these shops in this valley charge....
Sound like someone played with it!!

travK5

Alright I can unplug the speed sensor and drive it around and the speedo still jumps all over the place. So it cannot be anything with the teeth inside the tcase. I can also sit in my garage with the parking brake on and move about 1 mile every two minutes or so, according to the odometer. I have come to the conclusion that it is going to be some kind of a short or something in the dash. It is never something simple, is it!!! Oh well back to the drawing board.

What are the smoothest riding shocks out there for a tj with about 4 inches on it. I am on a tight budget. So i need to plan ahead and save my pennies. the ones that are on it are really harsh. It reminds me of a yj.

I was thinking about saving up for some 9000's or something like that so that i could sort of tune it in. but i have rode in mudslides rubicon, and his tereflex shocks seem to ride really good, on and off road. Just need a little bit of input. right now i am driving it around without swaybars and i don't get any body roll it is that stiff. mudslides rolls worse than mine with his antirock, and his rear swaybar connected.

S

sukaB

travK5 said:
Alright I can unplug the speed sensor and drive it around and the speedo still jumps all over the place. So it cannot be anything with the teeth inside the tcase. I can also sit in my garage with the parking brake on and move about 1 mile every two minutes or so, according to the odometer. I have come to the conclusion that it is going to be some kind of a short or something in the dash. It is never something simple, is it!!! Oh well back to the drawing board.

The TJ's have had a huge problem with the wiring behind the dash..
We have had 3-5 jeeps that went back to dealer for dash problems...
From speedo needle probs to intire dash shutdown to all sorts..
check with them and tell them again what's up...They'll get it sooner or later...
If you don't have warranty your screwed.

What are the smoothest riding shocks out there for a tj with about 4 inches on it. I am on a tight budget. So i need to plan ahead and save my pennies. the ones that are on it are really harsh. It reminds me of a yj.

Bilstein's are the best shock in my opinion.
Taishock?

I was thinking about saving up for some 9000's or something like that so that i could sort of tune it in. but i have rode in mudslides rubicon, and his tereflex shocks seem to ride really good, on and off road. Just need a little bit of input. right now i am driving it around without swaybars and i don't get any body roll it is that stiff. mudslides rolls worse than mine with his antirock, and his rear swaybar connected.

First of all what are your weight differences? :D
Second of all taishock
Fulltime swaybar offroad will smoke a none in similiar cases.
For cool chick gettin state street antics down there in PASON run with out anything. ;) STEAMIN HEEP does and his rig goes anywhere :rolleyes: