99 CTD w/ cracked exaust manifold

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
What do I do? The crack isn't that bad but it's getting worse. I've heard mixed reviews about welding it up. I can't seem to find any aftermarket headers for the diesel (lots of them for the gas motors)--where do I find them? Is stock the only option?

So, how good/bad is it to weld up the little crack? How difficult is it to pull the exaust manifold if I have to put in a new one? IF I do an aftermarket one do I need to do the exaust at the same time?

Cody

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
$460, huh, thats not as bad as I as expecting. still can't afford it right now :(

how hard is it to pull the manifuld--anyone ever done that?

Cody

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Cody said:
$460, huh, thats not as bad as I as expecting. still can't afford it right now :(

how hard is it to pull the manifuld--anyone ever done that?

Cody
from the looks of it not to bad. just undo the down pipe, the turbo and the bolts holding the manifold on.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
just get 4" exhaust while you are at it, that will lower egts and keep this from happening again. the three piece kit is :cool:

grinch

inner city redneck
Unless you want to weld it every other week you will have to get a new one.... Im cheep and just keep welding mine. You ought to see the amount of booger welds on the damn thing.... I have tried pre heating, nickle rod, mig, ect. None of them work lol.....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I found a stock manifold from a 00 3500. I imagine this would work?

I would like to do the 3 piece and a full exhaust, but I just can't swing 800 bucks right now.

Cody

DToy

It's not too bad to pull the stock exhaust manifold. Me and Jinx replaced his cracked exhaust manifold with the 3-piece ATS one in about 3-4 hours. You can use your stock exhaust...the ATS manifold will bolt right up. Probably the trickiest part is getting the 3-piece manifold together, we just heated up the middle part in the oven for about 20 minutes and then we could slip the sides in. If it were me I would do the ATS manifold now, and then the bigger exhaust later when you can afford it.

samizook

xj_punk said:
is there noticeable performance from the 3piece or just reliability?
From what iv'e read, mostly reliablility. The fact that it's 3 piece allows for expansion and contraction abilities. Haven't talked with anyone who actually has one though. Im just curious to know from those that have had cracked manifolds. How many miles, and was there a pyrometer present? And what temps were seen for how long?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
xj_punk said:
is there noticeable performance from the 3piece or just reliability?

I noticed a little increase in mileage and it seems just a little peppier. I plan on doing the exhaust and a box sooner or later so the ATS 3 piece just made sense.

I hate spending time or cash on something that is going to give me the same headache down the road...

as far as what happened when it went, I was pulling two jeeps up soldier summit at a good clip when the clamp on the turbo boot broke and raised hell with the exhaust manifold and no I didn't have a pyro on it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
along the lines of cool, but not necessarily performance adding, friday i took out my turbo silencer ring.. it sounds so cool at like 15 pounds of boost on the freeway... woooooooosssssssshhhhhhh
it did it on break at work, took about 3 minutes.

samizook

xj_punk said:
along the lines of cool, but not necessarily performance adding, friday i took out my turbo silencer ring.. it sounds so cool at like 15 pounds of boost on the freeway... woooooooosssssssshhhhhhh
it did it on break at work, took about 3 minutes.
I read somewhere in DTR that the holset turbo was designed without having a silencer ring and that it was mainly a dodge issue. Mine has always been more noisy than most other ctds iv'e listened to. I still have mine in. I can hear it whine more now that ive got a AFE stage II. I'm sure I'll take it out eventually. :cool: :D