A/C needs freon. . . jeep yj

nvrstuk

crap, i'm stuck...
so I need to refill the freon in my jeep. . . I bought the r-12 (i think it is called) conversion kit at auto zone, and used it to fill up my car, then went to go use it on the jeep, and the adapters do not fit! Does anyone know if there is a specific kit you have to get to make this work?
Thanks.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
I thought the adaptor, From r12 to r134a was the same for all vehicles.
Do you need the adaptor? Or just a recharge?
What year is the jeep?

nvrstuk

crap, i'm stuck...
i have the adaptor, it just doesnt fit on the jeeps refill port. . . maybe I am looking at the wrong thing, but according to my jeep manual it is the right place... right in back of the compresor. . . . :ugh:

78mitsu

Your jeep may have come with r-134a or has already been adapted, you may not need the kit just a charge.

78mitsu

they'll all have threads either inside or outside, for caps to cover the schreader valves. how big is the port 1/4 3/8 are the threads on the inside or outside?

shortstraw8

Didn't they stop making yj in 94 and all cars after 94 where 134a before that I think they were all r12. not 100%on all that its just what Ive heard

Caleb

shortstraw8 said:
Didn't they stop making yj in 94 and all cars after 94 where 134a before that I think they were all r12. not 100%on all that its just what Ive heard
YJ ended officially in 95, 96 had no wranglers made, and 97 began the TJ. All the systems I have charged have had the fitting about half way up the line, FWIW, none have been right by the compressor. (but I have never charged a Jeep so YMMV)

Brett

Meat-Hippy
nvrstuk said:
I'll keep looking, I dont see any other port along the lines. Come on yj guys, help! ;)

My Cherokee (4.0) has the ports right on the top side of the compressor. Your's are probably those ones too. You just have to find the right adapter to make it work.

Mr.Chevy

on a AC system you are going to have 2 ports one is a high side and a low side. The port that you use to fill the system is going to be some where in between the compressor and the canister (the silver looking can most likely by the fire wall where the heater fan and stuff are at) but i dont know how it is on a jeep (I'm a Chevy guy;) )

nvrstuk

crap, i'm stuck...
yea, like Brett said the ports are right on top (on the back side) of the compressor. There are no other ports that I can see all the way back to the firewall.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
nvrstuk said:
yea, like Brett said the ports are right on top (on the back side) of the compressor. There are no other ports that I can see all the way back to the firewall.

Jeep used weird fittings on them....you just need to piece together something to make it work with your updated kit. Run down to Evco or something simliar and you can pick up something that should work for you...just tell them what you are doing and I am sure they can help.