A Little Rant on Today's Generation of Kids and Their (lack of) Work Ethic

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I totally get it, and believe the same.

But when I can't count on the shop to fix my tire, I fix it myself. Which means I don't need them at all. So now I buy my tires online, pay less, and don't wait in line at a store. Fine by me.. and really more convenient, but the local store doesn't get the business. Then I'm told I'm the cause of the issue.
It's not like my money is going to change the fate of the store.. but it's principle I guess.
I just go talk to Colton and all my tire woes are instantly resolved. Seriously, I was a discount customer for at least 15 years. They refused to patch a tire and told me they couldn't put the spare on because it was too old and I'd have to buy another tire to get the car off their lift. I haven't been back. I went the next month and dropped a couple grand at Colton's store and have been going there since.

Also, Nealey's tire plug kits are the bomb and super cheap.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Not big-O specifically. All tire stores. This rant was Discount tire oriented.

It was that sandy big-o I worked at.. I still recommend them often.. and just recently heard about the buy out. I haven't been since and didn't know the full situation. I was hoping nothing would change :( Are Derek / Jared still in charge?

Nope, the Edwards sold their stores and are no longer affiliated.

J-mobzz

I’ve had really good luck with discount tire as long as I buy the replacement certs. Also the tires and certs from discount direct are typically a good amount cheaper than the local stores. I actually just put new tires on my Tahoe today that I ordered from discount direct and took into my local store to be mounted. Saved over $100 buying online.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Not that this is a tire thread, but I've been going to the discount on state and 2300 for 25 years and they've always treated me well

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Funny I was just at our local tire shop getting some new tread for the Drewbaru. A man walked in an asked if they were hiring. The manager asked him a few questions but stopped him at the can’t pass a drug test part. Small lobby couldn’t help but eavesdrop.. After the man left the manager decided to unload on me about how it’s impossible to find good help these days.

Anyway made me think of this thread. I don’t know what the answer is but I don’t want to bust tires down and neither does the younger generation 🫤 sounds too much like work lol.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
But the certs at discount and they just give you a new tire for $60 or whatever. I’m a discount fanboy but I’ve also just had good locations like Cody said. The one on 23rd and State was right by my work for 10 years and never did me wrong and now the one I see from my porch has been great too. YMMV

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
But the certs at discount and they just give you a new tire for $60 or whatever. I’m a discount fanboy but I’ve also just had good locations like Cody said. The one on 23rd and State was right by my work for 10 years and never did me wrong and now the one I see from my porch has been great too. YMMV

I have been a discount buyer for many years. Riverton location. It's been good for the most part.

I'm actually a fan boy of Walmart now. Significantly cheaper than any other store for name brand tires. Order on line. Certs and mounting is $25/tire. Make appointment for mounting, no wait.
I rotate my own anyway when I do oil changes, so I never go back unless I need a warranty.

But, this rant was from a tire that came on a new trailer... 10 years ago. Only the second flat ever. The first was when I backed through a fire pit doing a trailer removal from public land. That had a 'shoulder' repair they wouldn't fix either. It has a plug now.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have been a discount buyer for many years. Riverton location. It's been good for the most part.

I'm actually a fan boy of Walmart now. Significantly cheaper than any other store for name brand tires. Order on line. Certs and mounting is $25/tire. Make appointment for mounting, no wait.
I rotate my own anyway when I do oil changes, so I never go back unless I need a warranty.

But, this rant was from a tire that came on a new trailer... 10 years ago. Only the second flat ever. The first was when I backed through a fire pit doing a trailer removal from public land. That had a 'shoulder' repair they wouldn't fix either. It has a plug now.
That puncture I got last night was the first vehicle flat I have ever had that couldn't be driven home or to a shop. As in, I actually had to change it on the side of the road. I have had multiple trailer flats on the road but this was the first on a vehicle that was mine. I blame you :rofl:

Coco

This thread got a little off topic :rofl: But I definitely appreciate the RME guys that have come to us and trusted me/our shop to help you with all your tire and automotive needs! We've been in business and same family has owned it since 1971, and are proud to help and be there for our clientele! We have clients from all over Utah, and even the surrounding states that plan trips around getting their vehicles in and worked on with us. We even have bodyshops that bring their mechanical work to us.

We have had a good bunch of new hires that have made it in, and are staying. Its been nice to have some quality help and reliable staff once again. We did have another guy that was a really good hand, but had a lot of health issues stop showing up. Right before Thanksgiving, he had another one of his week long sickness episodes. He would text in with updates, then shortly after Thanksgiving went dark. We haven't seen or heard from him since. He was a guy we never figured would up and leave without a word, as he knew what type of bind that type of behavior put us in. I kept thinking something severe happened to him, but when the owner put an application on Indeed, it will show similar applications in people looking for work. Well, his resume popped up, so that kind of ended that thought. But he left all his tools he bought off the tool trucks, and his car wheels here. He still owed money to both the tool trucks, and the shop, but again never came in to collect or even talk about what happened.

We also had one of our long time service advisors ... leave. Yes, that is what we will go with lol. He was a well known and liked advisor, but we had been having too many internal issues with him, and it was finally time to cut ties. Liked the guy, but it was a night and day difference from when he was here and when he wasn't that he had stopped caring a long time ago. Sometimes, you just have to 'cut the cancer' for lack of a better term.

Last edited: