A poor man's Helton...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
[video=youtube;6XzcVu76eU4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XzcVu76eU4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

This seems too easy. I'm seeing four or five feet of black 8" PVC, pressurized by onboard air instead of a silly little bike pump, why aren't more people doing this? If my math is right, that's about 2.5 gallons a foot, so at eight pounds a gallon and four feet of pipe that's 80 pounds on your roof rack, which really isn't a lot. You could hose off several people after a day on the trail with 10 gallons of water, with the right showerhead.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Well, a Helton doesn't generate pressure, it just heats the water. The little yellow showerhead and pump kurt sells is what pumps it (and it's quite cheap).

That being said, this is a cool idea.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Kevin, why are you watching prius videos again?

I've gotta give the guy props. Anyone that gets a prius owner to shower more than once a month is a hero in my book. :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've seen a van with a black 6" (?) PVC pipe mounted for the same thing. No reason you couldn't try it, should be pretty cheap. Thread in a schrader valve for pressure up top and a outlet on the bottom to feed the showerhead and you're good too go. Shouldn't need that much pressure either, but using on-board air would be simple. I like the idea.

Hardcastle

Pretty cool idea if you already have a roof rack. I'd try the PVC pipe idea. If i was going to spend $300 i'd go for the Helton over this, though.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There are a handful of DIY rack shower builds on ExPo and your right, no reason not to give it a go. Upsides are obviously simplicity and low cost, downsides are cloudy days and limited volume. Do it and report back :D

DAA

The title of the video does say 'Updated Model'... wonder if she had plastic surgery. :greg:

I wasn't gonna say anything. But all this talk of bolting on racks... That one does look like a bolt on. Would require a closer inspection to say for sure though.

- DAA

rholbrook

"What I discovered was....it was much more than a shower, it has uses that I never imagined, such as....." I like how he led with the showering of young girls with nice bodies. Makes me imagine a lot of things. I gotta go call my bishop.