a serious discussion: I want to run the Rubicon

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Recently, a particular topic has been coming to my mind repeatedly. It's one of those "bucket list" things, where there is a desire that tugs at you over and over and it just won't let go. I keep putting it out of my mind, but the thought keeps reappearing after a day or so. The more I think about it, the more I am coming to realize that I'm just going to have to follow through and do it before it is too late.

I want to run the Rubicon.

I've seen videos and pictures. I know the scenery is gorgeous and the trail is challenging. I kinda wonder if I'd be a fool for taking my Wrangler in its current state of build. I wouldn't run the trail without someone else there who has already done it (familiarity will be critical, I expect), and I will want to rent/borrow a truck and trailer so as to ensure a timely return home. They say the best time of the year to run the trail is in August-September. Since that means I've just missed it, I'm thinking of setting a goal to run it at this time next year. I figure it would be a 4-day event: two days on the trail itself, plus one day each for the trip out and back.

So, what advice and suggestions can you guys offer for me?

sixstringsteve

The rubicon has been on my bucket list as well. I'll be going next summer if you want to tag along. Never run it before, but I expect it to be amazing. I grew up a few hours from Tahoe and the scenery is incredible. I hear it's at least a 5 day trip from UT, but I'll let those with experience chime in.

Advice that I've picked up while researching (most are pretty obvious):
- find the top 5 most common failures/breaks on vehicles like yours, and carry a few spares of each piece (along with the tools and knowledge to fix 'em.) I hear there aren't as many people out there who are willing to help you fix your rig and get it off the trail. I remember goose saying he broke something, and 30 people passed by him before someone asked if he needed help.
- be very familiar with your vehicle, take all the tools necessary for medium repairs
- bring the right recovery gear (tow strap, snatch strap, spare wheel/tire, jack, etc)
- bring a spill kit
- find a few books on the history of the Rubicon. Knowing the history and origin of the area you're visiting makes it a much more fulfilling trip.
- bring a friend along
- take your rig on a few overnighter runs beforehand so you can practice packing your gear, using it, and storing it. It'll also give you a chance to evaluate how necessary each piece is. Plus it's fun. :D
- take your rig out on similar trails and make sure both you and your spotter get experience in that terrain. I think constrictor has similar terrain. that terrain out in CA is quite different from Moab and St. George.
- most importantly, don't let anything get in the way of you going. If it's a bucket list item, make sure you do it before that trail gets closed.

Also, Kurt (cruiseroutfit) rents things like ARB fridges, along with a ready-welder. If you need a welder, that thing will pay for itself in one shot. I'd talk to him about renting one before you go. If I don't own one by then, I'll definitely be renting one from him.

Got any pics of your rig? What are its specs? If you're worried about it being capable enough, look up people who have completed it in similar rigs and question them. Through youtube and pirate, I was able to connect with a bunch of guys who ran it in different vehicles. Their experience helped me realize that my IFS tacoma on 35's wasn't going to fare very well. It could get through the trail, but it would be a long and tiresome trip with a lot of close calls with body damage. In fact, my current rig was purchased and built so I could run the rubicon and similar trails. I'd like to try Fordyce sometime as well.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'll be going next summer if you want to tag along.

When are you planning to go, exactly? I'm certainly not going alone, and if someone else local is headed that way anyway....

Got any pics of your rig? What are its specs?

mascara1.jpg

Current specs:
1998 Wrangler 4.0L 5-speed
2" budget boost
31" MT/Rs
3.73 gears with open front and limited slip rear
lots of armor (bumpers, rockers, steering box, front diff, gas tank)

Before making this trip, I would want to add either a front ARB locker or a Warn winch (though I probably won't have the funds for both).

If you're worried about it being capable enough, look up people who have completed it in similar rigs and question them.

There is a guy on WranglerForum who recent ran "just the second half" of the Rubicon in his TJ which also has only a budget boost and 31" tires--he made it. He even has the lousy 3.07 gears, so that gives me one advantage over him. ;) I also have an issue of Jp magazine where they ran the entire trail in a YJ with a shackle lift and 31" tires with open diffs front and rear--I'll have to go back and read that again.

Through youtube and pirate, I was able to connect with a bunch of guys who ran it in different vehicles. Their experience helped me realize that my IFS tacoma on 35's wasn't going to fare very well.

Good advice. Thanks.

sixstringsteve

Nice jeep! Based on what I've read, it's going to be a struggle to get that through the entire rubicon (same with my rig). I imagine that with enough patience and strapping we could get it through, but you're going to need at least one locker (preferably rear) or it'll be extremely frustrating. I'm all for getting less built rigs through trails, but there comes a point where it's not even fun anymore when you're underbuilt for the trail. Let's try to get you through constrictor sometime and see how it does. Or see if you can borrow some 33's for the trip, or even rent a jeep that's built a bit more. Ideally you'd want a 4:1 and a front and rear locker. I like winches, but if you have to use your winch every 15 min, it's going to get old fast. I think a locker would be more useful, but that's totally your call. Lockers = breakage, so that's something to consider as well.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I don't know when I'm going next year, I kinda suck at planning that far in advance. I do know that it'll be my big trip for the year, so it's going to happen regardless. I'll be running the entire rubicon. I planned on spending 3 days on the trail just to be safe, but I still need to do more research.

Bart

Rocker guards, good bumpers and gas tank skid will be a must and it looks like you have that covered. I would try to stuff at least 32s under there and 33s if possible. I ran it back in 98 and had 32s, but lockers front and rear. The True Old Sluice will do the most damage from what I recall.

capt scotty

A group of us ran it last year. four built Rubicon 4 door jks and my built( 4" lift 35's custom rock rails and arb lockers front and rear) 2 door Sahara jk plus a friend in a TJ rubicon. The TJ had a 3 inch total lift, lots of armor and was running 33's. He did well, but be prepared to bang alot. Good rock rails are a must.Plan on 3 trail days. It is a fast pace to do it in 2. I would suggest a locker over a winch if you have to choose. camping is primative but beautiful including the possibility of bears. You must carry all water you need plus a porta potty. You might want to check into the jeep jamborees. One is a big party, the other is more family friendly. they do meals and showers plus they have mechanic and parts along. they supply spotters ect. We were signed up with them but they canceled because not enough people signed up. We decided to go on our own. Two of our guys had done the trail before. It is great fun and I highly recomend it .

Last edited:

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I did it in 3 days but I wouldn't recommend it. We drove to South Lake Tahoe in one day and spent the night there in a hotel. We got up at 3:00 am and drove to the trailhead, ran the trail and made it back to South Lake Tahoe and then on the the third day drove home. We were really worn out and wished we had taken at least a couple of days. I was in a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon with 33x9.50R15 BFG Mud Terrains. With smaller tires I wished I had done some skid plating. I had to use my hi-lift to jack it up and tip it sideways twice and had to use my winch once. I also went alone which I don't recommend.

I have to say it is worth it.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
nice jeep. Based on what I've read, that's going to be a struggle to get that through the entire rubicon (same with my rig). I imagine that with enough patience and strapping we could get it through, but you're going to need at least one locker (preferably rear) or it'll be extremely frustrating. I'm all for getting less built rigs through trails, but there comes a point where it's not even fun anymore when you're underbuilt for the trail. Let's try to get you through constrictor sometime and see how it does. Or see if you can borrow some 33's for the trip, or even rent a jeep that's built a bit more. Ideally you'd want a 4:1 and a front and rear locker. I like winches, but if you have to use your winch every 15 min, it's going to get old fast. I think a locker would be more useful, but that's totally your call. Lockers = breakage, so that's something to consider as well.

You probably will want atleast 33s but as far as a 4:1 i wouldnt worry about it that 4.0 has plenty of low end grunt to go as slow as you would need to go without burning up a clutch.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Listen to Skippy. I'm not a jeep guy, so he'll know what you need better than I would.

Its just i have wheeled with that exact combo and never needed a 4:1 although lower gearing can always be used there are tons more i would do to the jeep before dropping the 1300 on a 4:1

sixstringsteve

Its just i have wheeled with that exact combo and never needed a 4:1 although lower gearing can always be used there are tons more i would do to the jeep before dropping the 1300 on a 4:1

I keep forgetting that a 4:1 costs so much for a jeep (vs the $350 for a toyota).

Marc, you'll have to join us next year.

sixstringsteve

I realize that the terrain in Utah is nothing like the terrain in the Sierra Nevadas. Are there any trails in our state that are similar in difficulty/obstacles to the rubicon? Is Hanging Tree tougher or easier than the Rubicon? (excluding little and big sluice).

Johnny4X4

I ran the rubicon, drove my jeep from utah to the rubicon ran thru it and camped along the way, drove home.

I say go for it!!

there are hard and easier lines on all trails. the best thing to watch while out on the trail was a bone stock CJ5 with 31's climbing around.

for sure take along someone with another rig.

get yourself a map and some gas money and go :) !!!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I would be very interested in doing the Rubicon next year, my rear axle truss is on its way and will have an Aussie locker in the rear by springtime. I figure with my longer wheelbase, gears, locked rear, full skids, and 33's it should get through without a lot of issues. Hmmm, got me thinking about it.