a ticket in the mail?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
a friend of mine got in trouble with the law last trip to Moab, which would've been Thanksgiving i think.... there were on Escalator(if i remember correctly) and were ticketed for going off the trail.... ok, big deal... this friend's dad is a big time laywer and has looked into this for awhile now, and she said that she's heard of people getting tickets in the mail from someone with authority, when they see pictures of vehicles off the main trails..... they look at the liscense plate and send a ticket to your house.......

is this BS? i remeber something similar to this being talked about at the last land use meeting they had for the Moab area.... anybody heard anything like this?

just curious....

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
When I was down there last year a BLM guy stopped me after I did the loop that goes up the slickrock on the right side of the trail just before the waterfall on Poison Spider. He took pictures and wrote down my liscence #, I never heard back from them though :confused: :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
supergper said:
Never heard of it but I hope they do...

i do too.... someone needs to crack down.... maybe that's what i'll do this EJS... take pics of people off the trail, and get their liscense #...... and send the pics and info to someone...... should I? should I?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i don't see the resoning behind shutting down stuff that has been used for years.... the environment isn't gonna fix itself over night.... i say let wheelers wheel on stuff that has already been established and traveled on alot... otherwise people are gonna go look for more places to wheel, and destroy more wilderness that could've been avoided...

all of the sudden i feel like debating stuff in another one of those land meetings.... stupid, crazy environmentalists....

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
I think it's funny how you can get a ticket for stepping on cryptobiotic soil in Arches...and everywhere else there are signs saying "STAY OFF THE LIVING SOIL!!". Then they subsidize permits for a guy to graze 300 cattle and destroy acres of the stuff :confused: :confused: :confused:

Down in Moab, 4-wheeling and other outdoor activities provide buttloads of revenue and pretty much sustain the town. Every year, they do stuff to try and keep us out, though. Like closing the free camping by Lion's back. I agree we should all stay on the trail...but closing slickrock routes is absurd.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
suv said:
I think it's funny how you can get a ticket for stepping on cryptobiotic soil in Arches...and everywhere else there are signs saying "STAY OFF THE LIVING SOIL!!". Then they subsidize permits for a guy to graze 300 cattle and destroy acres of the stuff :confused: :confused: :confused:

Down in Moab, 4-wheeling and other outdoor activities provide buttloads of revenue and pretty much sustain the town. Every year, they do stuff to try and keep us out, though. Like closing the free camping by Lion's back. I agree we should all stay on the trail...but closing slickrock routes is absurd.

somehow i knew you'd chime in and steal mey thread with your camping BS... whiney baby..... pay for a hotel!

;)

griff

Elder SAMI said:
somehow i knew you'd chime in and steal mey thread with your camping BS... whiney baby..... pay for a hotel!

;)

I was just checkin out the site and couldnt help but read your conversation, I work for the police department and as far as I know they cant ticket you from just a pic

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
griff said:
I was just checkin out the site and couldnt help but read your conversation, I work for the police department and as far as I know they cant ticket you from just a pic

It seems to me that a photo is pretty good evidence of a crime and should be enough to prosecute.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
bobdog said:
It seems to me that a photo is pretty good evidence of a crime and should be enough to prosecute.
The problem is, (the same problem with "Photo-cop") you cannot prove who is commiting the crime. you can only prove the vehicle.

O'neal

?????????
Elder SAMI said:

;)

There's nothing wrong with campin,sure beat's stayin at a hotel watchin tv. :D

griff

gtidrivr said:
So how do you suppose they will give a person a ticket w/o a license plate?
they can't, if you do get a ticket with out a plate or the officer running a check on your ID I'd suggest you contest it

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
so then it has to be BS; as far as ticketing due to photos showing vehicle(s) "off the trail"..... right?

griff

Elder SAMI said:
so then it has to be BS; as far as ticketing due to photos showing vehicle(s) "off the trail"..... right?
yup, its bs and would never hold up if taken to court, judge would just laugh

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Elder SAMI said:
...friend's dad is a big time laywer and has looked into this for awhile now, and she said that she's ...

I'm interested in the name of this he/she ;)

So did they actually ticket them in person? Or just send a letter in the mail with a picture of them?

Has anyone actually received a "photo-ticket" in the mail? I call BS that it has even happened... I know that the BLM regulary patrols, takes pictures and jots down license plates, all for documentation, etc... but AFAIK they have never sent tickets via the mail without even talking with you at the point of infraction...

Is it legal? probably... if your lawyer freind thinks he/she can get people out of it... Why can parking tickets be stuck to the owner of a car... a lawyer that can repeatedly beat that in court, could make a million dollars!!!

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Hickey said:
The problem is, (the same problem with "Photo-cop") you cannot prove who is commiting the crime. you can only prove the vehicle.

I hate the idea of Photo Cop but it has been upheld as legal is used in many parts of the country, and I understand it may be returning to the Wasatch Front soon.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Elder SAMI said:
maybe that's what i'll do this EJS... take pics of people off the trail, and get their liscense #...... and send the pics and info to someone...... should I? should I?

You better take lots of film... That place gets so packed during EJS that people can't help but drive off the trail to let others by, and most could give a sh!t where they pull off. Then you have the drunkin parties on trails and people just stop caring what they do....

Personaly, I'm done with EJS.

:)

griff

cruiseroutfit said:
I'm interested in the name of this he/she ;)

So did they actually ticket them in person? Or just send a letter in the mail with a picture of them?

Has anyone actually received a "photo-ticket" in the mail? I call BS that it has even happened... I know that the BLM regulary patrols, takes pictures and jots down license plates, all for documentation, etc... but AFAIK they have never sent tickets via the mail without even talking with you at the point of infraction...

Is it legal? probably... if your lawyer freind thinks he/she can get people out of it... Why can parking tickets be stuck to the owner of a car... a lawyer that can repeatedly beat that in court, could make a million dollars!!!
even with parking tickets if you can prove that you weren't the one that parked the car there you have a case, most people dont want to bother with court fees though, its usually cheeper just to pay the ticket