A Wrangler with IFS

Subarudude54

Back in the early 90's while working at Chrysler, we put an IFS on a Wrangler with a ZJ rear suspension. This was in preparation for the TJ which came out for 1997. I took it to Moab for testing off-road and had Ber Knight guide us at the time. It was unique for the time as the IFS had 12 inches of vertical travel as you can see in this picture that I recently stumbled upon. I don't recall specifically the trails we went on with the exception of Moab Rim. It did perform well, but no better than the ZJ suspension that was ultimately used.Jeep wrangler with IFS.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Does that exist anywhere still? What IFS went under it? (I'm assuming it was from some production model...)

Subarudude54

It was a design modified from a Dakota. It mounted the front diff partially up the lower control arms so vertical travel could match that of the solid axle. A couple years after it was built, it was dismantled and scrapped. Chrysler didn't want anyone to know it had existed. Notice the sway bar above the frame, same as on TJ which came later.