AC question

GR4x4

Stop the MADNESS
I have a 94 Taurus that the AC pump froze up on. I went to get a replacement pump fromt the parts places and they asked if it is clutch or not.
So here is my question.
If I get the clutch one do I need to worry about putting all the hoses back on and filling it up with coolant or will it just run with out it?

I really don't want to have to fix it and recharge it, the car isn't worth that much, I was qouted $1200 to fix it. I would just like to get it running and get rid of the thing.

DToy

If your compressor froze up you will want the new A/C compressor with the clutch, since the clutch on your old compressor is probably toast. Either way if you have to remove the compressor you will lose the refrigerant (freon). You would not have to recharge the system, but you will need to put oil into the system to lubricate the new compressor. Or you could remove the A/C compressor completely and get a belt for a Taurus without A/C (just don't forget that it's a serious crime to release refrigerant into the atmosphere)...something like $25,000 fine + jailtime if you get caught. :eek:

I just replaced the compressor on my mother-in-law's '96 Taurus. I think the compressor was around $300.

GR4x4

Stop the MADNESS
That sounds like the right price. What kind of oil would I use? gear oil or like 10w 30 stuff.

Thanks for the info.

DToy

GR4x4 said:
That sounds like the right price. What kind of oil would I use? gear oil or like 10w 30 stuff.

Thanks for the info.

No, it's special refrigeration oil. They sell it at Autozone or Checker...you should be able to get it wherever you buy the compressor. You'll need a hose to connect the can of oil to the A/C system to get the oil in.

GR4x4

Stop the MADNESS
thanks for the info
I am going to have to try do this. And then getting rid of the beast.