AC recharge/conversion

Brett

Meat-Hippy
So, I am pretty sure that my XJ is still using R12 and it's low. So, what do I need to do to convert to R134a and get my AC back to working normally? Pick up something at Checker? Or do I need to go have someone do this?

Thanks....simple is good

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
There is a kit available at Checker, Autozone, Walmart, etc. that basically consists of adapters that convert your existing ports to the proper size for R134a. I have heard varying reports of success with such kits.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
So, I am pretty sure that my XJ is still using R12 and it's low. So, what do I need to do to convert to R134a and get my AC back to working normally? Pick up something at Checker? Or do I need to go have someone do this?

Thanks....simple is good

You don't know?
What year is it?
Anything 93-94 ish should be 134a
Just check your Hi side/ low side ports, R134a ports are huge compered to The good stuff.
R12 is the **** though. you can find it, if you can afford it as it costs more per pound than gold. :eek: Scraping ice off the inside windows @ 112degrees rocks. :greg:

Yea Conversion is a piece of cake.
Just make sure to get a pressure gauge as to much R134a will blow hot air. As will not enough.
Ideal pressure is 43lbs.
And then there's the evacuation of your old dangerous R12.
The old has to go. How you do it is up to you. I reccomend a head on collision, Does it every time.
Then your set.
good luck.-_-

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
the is a shop on 1300 e and 5500 so (Ithink) that still does the r12 and they can evac it for you and then after you or they install the new adapters they can fill it with r134... it called Sun something... your going to pay big time anywhere you go...

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I did a swap to my 90's chev when I had it. I bought the adapters from walmart for like $6 I think and put like 4 cans of r-134 in it. It blew cold air but my compressor cycled too quickly. I didn't have any r-12 left in it so I didn't have to worry about it.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
You don't know?
What year is it?
Anything 93-94 ish should be 134a
Just check your Hi side/ low side ports, R134a ports are huge compered to The good stuff.
R12 is the **** though. you can find it, if you can afford it as it costs more per pound than gold. :eek: Scraping ice off the inside windows @ 112degrees rocks. :greg:

Where might I find more R12 ;) Cherokee's an '89, so pretty sure it's R12. Ports are still stock so now conversion.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
Where might I find more R12 ;) Cherokee's an '89, so pretty sure it's R12. Ports are still stock so now conversion.

"you" cant buy r12 any more. you will have to take it to a shop to have it charged with r12. unless you know somebody who still has a bottle. if your going to take it to a shop, you might as well have it converted to 134a. it will be cheaper. they do not produce r12 any more, they havnt for years. that is why its so expensive. the only source for it is recovery and recycle.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
"you" cant buy r12 any more. you will have to take it to a shop to have it charged with r12. unless you know somebody who still has a bottle. if your going to take it to a shop, you might as well have it converted to 134a. it will be cheaper. they do not produce r12 any more, they havnt for years. that is why its so expensive. the only source for it is recovery and recycle.

Knew that they hadn't been producing it anymore. I've also heard that 134a doesn't cool quite as well.....so that's one reason I would like to stick with R12 if I can. How much are you guys talking on price?

rollover

Call
Rays Land and Sea 3625 So. 700 West 268-3891

AAA Speedo and Air Cond (500 west 4600 south Aprox)

Both do R12 and convert to 134.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I hear its up to about 85-100 bucks a pound and most cars take 2 pounds about. It's usually cheaper to just convert it. Go to the store buy the adapters for the ports. Second, by some ester oil to charge it. 134 uses pag oil, but 12 uses mineral oil. You can't mix those 2, they are like mixing water and oil. Ester combines them both. Third usually they want you to change out the dryer/accumulater- that chrome bottle shaped thing which works like a charcoal canister. Finally charge it. My last complete conversion cost me like 75 bucks, way cheaper then even 1 pound of r12

anvil

I put a can of Duracool in my 1989 XJ that was a little low on refrigerant. It ran ice cold for 2 years before I sold it last fall. You can buy Duracool online. Yes, it's made of propane. No, that shouldn't worry you at all.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
There's some stuff that mixes with R12 so you don't have to evacuate or convert

Ninja edit: Freeze 12

This is what I was going to say. Don't do the 134 swap. To do the swap right you have to completely evacuate the old system of all freon AND oil. For the freeze 12, you just simply add it to the old system. It's compatible with the R12 oil and everything. Plus, it works better than 134.

Meat_

Banned
Concerning the Freeze 12.....is something you can get locally? I don't recall ever seeing it around here. Or am I ordering online only?

Rex's Diesel just put some in my Isuzu NPR.... I would assume that you can find an A/C place that has it.