accidents do happen

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Accidents do happen, and hearing about firearm accidents always chills me. But the media spin on them drives me nuts. The latest vital records I can find for Utah is 2007, but did you know that there were 3 accidental firearms deaths in Utah that year vs. 18 accidental drowning? You are 6 times more likely to die from water than from a firearm.

http://health.utah.gov/vitalrecords/pub_vs/ia07/07x.pdf

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Water saftey isn't very 'marketable' when you think about.. It almost seems boring, and dull. Firearms on the other hand are such a hot topic that it is a marketable idea because it's touchy. thus the interest to put the issue under a microscope.

I agree that it's ridiculous, but that's just the way it is. Pains me to even write that.

bradm

shameless posing...
Given all the gun owners in this state, I'd say we're doing very well with only 3 accidental firearms deaths in 07. But just try convincing the anti-gunners of that.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Given all the gun owners in this state, I'd say we're doing very well with only 3 accidental firearms deaths in 07. But just try convincing the anti-gunners of that.

It's stupid.. So much effort into gun control, which is good and bad to a degree, yet how many people die from drunk driving? Fight that fight anti-gun people.. Farrrr more people have their lives ruined or messed up due to a drunk behind the wheel, than those who are killed over firearm accidents..

IIRC, even those who abuse animals have harsher penalties over DUI's.. Sad..

bradm

shameless posing...
It's stupid.. So much effort into gun control, which is good and bad to a degree, yet how many people die from drunk driving? Fight that fight anti-gun people.. Farrrr more people have their lives ruined or messed up due to a drunk behind the wheel, than those who are killed over firearm accidents..

IIRC, even those who abuse animals have harsher penalties over DUI's.. Sad..

Agreed 100%.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
.....yet how many people die from drunk driving?.....

In Utah for 2006 there were 284 fatalities. 63 (22%) of those fatalities were alcohol related, and 54 (19%) of those were ? 0.08% BAC.

So you are 21 times more likely to be killed via alcohol related driving than by a accidental firearm accident.

Data came from http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics-utah.html and I have not verified it otherwise.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Having had my best friend killed by a gun accident when I was 14 I greatly support gun safety education...as for the rest I agree completely.

Medsker

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Having had my best friend killed by a gun accident when I was 14 I greatly support gun safety education...as for the rest I agree completely.

Medsker

Some sort of firearm safety absolutely, I think everyone thatanyone who owns a guns should be required to go through some sort of safety course. I grew up with guns and I was taught the right way to handle a gun, so it's second nature for me to second guess whether or not my guns are loaded even when I know I don't even have the bullets for them in the house right now. But guns are so much safer than even just driving down I-15 in the middle of the day.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Gun Control & Gun Safety = 2 completely different things.

I support Gun Safety 100%

Gun Control isn't bad unless rights are infringed upon, and or taken away.

ID Bronco

Some sort of firearm safety absolutely, I think everyone thatanyone who owns a guns should be required to go through some sort of safety course. I grew up with guns and I was taught the right way to handle a gun, so it's second nature for me to second guess whether or not my guns are loaded even when I know I don't even have the bullets for them in the house right now. But guns are so much safer than even just driving down I-15 in the middle of the day.

Everyone should be encouraged to take a course, but I am not for requiring anyone to do it. Who's place is it to make it mandatory?

You must be confident with your fireams or trouble will likely happen.

D94R

I think everyone thatanyone who owns a guns should be required to go through some sort of safety course.

I'll be glad to. Just as soon as you go through a required course to: speak publicly (whether orally or in type, such as here), go to church, to assemble, and/or petition.
I'll also need you to take courses to understand law before you're allowed to refuse any unreasonable searches and seizures, have speedy and fair trials by your peers, avoid torture while in jail, and generally live your life such as you do right now.

Apply your "requirements" to the rest of your rights and see how fast you aren't going to like it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'll be glad to. Just as soon as you go through a required course to: speak publicly (whether orally or in type, such as here), go to church, to assemble, and/or petition.
I'll also need you to take courses to understand law before you're allowed to refuse any unreasonable searches and seizures, have speedy and fair trials by your peers, avoid torture while in jail, and generally live your life such as you do right now.

Apply your "requirements" to the rest of your rights and see how fast you aren't going to like it.

This is the way I see it too.

ID Bronco

X2 The Govt. requiring anything really gets me going.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
What part of control do you not understand?

:rolleyes:

So, gun control means all your rights are taken away? I do not see how,
Gun Control isn't bad unless rights are infringed upon, and or taken away
is a bad statement.

I think that the waiting period to obtain a firearm from a licensed dealer is a good thing..

* The Brady Bill was implemented in February of 1994. In 1997, the number of violent crimes committed with firearms had fallen 25% since 1994, while the overall number of violent crimes had declined 14%.

Right-to-carry laws require law enforcement agencies to issue handgun permits to all qualified applicants. Qualifications include criteria such as age, a clean criminal record, and completing a firearm safety course.

Those qualifications are not infringing on any rights IMO...

***EDIT:
I will say that I am a supporter of GUN RIGHTS... But there should be regulations in place, as some are certainly better than not having any.. In a way, that is gun control for gun rights..
I do believe that the use of the word "Militia" in the Constitution, refers not to the State National Guard Units, but to the citizens of the United States.

Last edited:

D94R

I think that the waiting period to obtain a firearm from a licensed dealer is a good thing..
How so? All it does is delay someones ability to exercise their Right, which is an infringement.

Right-to-carry laws require law enforcement agencies to issue handgun permits to all qualified applicants. Qualifications include criteria such as age, a clean criminal record, and completing a firearm safety course.

What's your definition of an infringement? Age and Criminal record I agree with, but a mandatory safety course is hog wash. Telling me I'm required to do something in order to be able to exercise my Right IS an infringement.

***EDIT:
I will say that I am a supporter of GUN RIGHTS... But

That, funny enough, always comes out of the mouths of the anti gun people and fence sitters who are too afraid to admit that they either really do not want anyone to have guns, or they don't want anyone but themselves to have guns.

there should be regulations in place, as some are certainly better than not having any.. In a way, that is gun control for gun rights..
The only regulations worth a damn are ones that place limitations and restrictions on criminals and felons. Restricting the free citizen from exercising their right is not a positive progression for gun rights.

offroaddave

It's just one term!

Well, 2 out of 3 is not bad.

D94R. I like the way you think. :hickey:

offroaddave

It's just one term!
[YOUTUBE]/v/T_QjEL0uUgo&hl[/YOUTUBE]

So, gun control means all your rights are taken away? I do not see how, is a bad statement.

***EDIT:
I will say that I am a supporter of GUN RIGHTS... But there should be regulations in place, as some are certainly better than not having any.. In a way, that is gun control for gun rights..
I do believe that the use of the word "Militia" in the Constitution, refers not to the State National Guard Units, but to the citizens of the United States.

Last edited: