adding a/c to a non a/c vehicle

airmanwilliams

So I took off on a road trip this morning going from Salt Lake City Utah to Las Vegas Nevada and then im going back to Salt Lake City in the morning. A bit of trouble I ran into is that it didnt have a/c and to prevent my sidekick from being an oven I rolled the 2 front windows down but when I hit southern Utah it started feeling like someone had a hair blow dryer on me the rest of the way to Las Vegas. Im now really not looking forward to the long 6 hour drive back especially since my left arm is rediculously burned and half my face so I look like two face now.

What I have is a 93 4door sidekick with a 16v motor and it never came equipped with a/c. I WILL NOT attempt another trip like this until I get a/c in it, I know it will rob some of the little power the motor has but I dont care at this point.

Has anyone done this swap before and can share with me the details?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Man up... its almost like AC but cheaper ;)

Did any Sidekick come with AC? Easiest option is always going to be salvaging a complete setup from a like model and swap it all over. There are aftermarket systems but they are pricey and require custom fitting which may or may not be possible for your application.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Brandon, we can hit the salvage yard when you are free and I will help you grab everything you need. But you should google it and see if there is a complete list that already exists that we can follow. The retrofit shouldn't be too hard, just need all of the hard parts, pressure switch, and hvac control with A/C button. And if there is a difference in cooling fans we would need that as well.

zukijames

a fan.. and yup man up..you can find a sidekick or samurai with a/c steal some of it from there but im not smart enough to give you advice on how to do it i just know i had a samurai that had a a/c button on it

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
Your going to need everything for the a/c, and thats assuming the vehicle is wired for it even though it doesn't have it. I would stay away from the aftermarket options as I have seen a few fail, and getting parts to service them can be difficult or non existent. I would run a factory setup.

You will need at least the-
hvac box inside (with evaporator, most likely the entire box)
a/c lines and flex hoses (with mounting tabs)
Expansion valve
receiver dryer
condenser
compressor and brackets
a/c idler and tensioner pulleys/brackets ect
Possibly crank pulley (idk if they are different or not)
pressure switches
climate control assembly on dash with a/c switch
any connectors/wiring for the a/c system (or hard wire it yourself)
may need to drill holes for the lines (unless they are pre-cut in the fire wall for non a/c models.)
I would also convert it to 134a if its not. (cheaper and easier to work with)

its a big task, not impossible or very "hard" so to speak but time consuming.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have seen guys retrofit A/C to early 90's Miatas and it wasn't that difficult, hardest part was pulling the dash apart to install the hvac controls and the holes were already in the firewall.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Since we are sort of in the middle of something similar, here is what we did. Not simple. We started with my son's 94 Explorer as the donor, and the goal of a running 1990 Ranger. We stripped everything from both trucks, and transferred the dash and AC airbox into the Ranger, which wasn't equipped with AC before nor had the proper wiring. Codensor, evaporator, compressor, lines, everything. Along the way, we also replaced seals in the system, since it was leaking enough to require recharging after 2 years. I have to kodify the airbox for the extended shock towers we added to the Ranger, but we plan to charge the system in the next couple weeks. Nice to have functioning system as the donor, and the complete vehicle it came from. We started the truck last night (swapped out the Rangers 2.3l and stick for the Explorer 4.0 v6 and auto) and will swap axles next weekend.

We used to live in the upper Mojave and sympathize completely. Hope you find a cplete system in the junkyard, or a good donor.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Man up... its almost like AC but cheaper ;)

Did any Sidekick come with AC? Easiest option is always going to be salvaging a complete setup from a like model and swap it all over. There are aftermarket systems but they are pricey and require custom fitting which may or may not be possible for your application.

:rofl:
So true. I think I've done this trip or similar ones without AC more often than with! Our pampered society...

And yes, Most Sidekicks/Trackers came with AC. Just hit the yards and pull the whole system if you really, really want it.

Last edited:

ricsrx

:rofl:
So true. I think I've dont this trip or similar ones without AC more often than with! Our pampered society...

And yes, Most Sidekicks/Trackers came with AC. Just hit the yards and pull the whole system if you really, really want it.

Yes find a tracker or sidekick with a/c, I purchased a parts truck that had a/c and transfered it over to my first gen, even thou the year of the truck was different at least it was all toyota and all the parts were there.
Yes change it over to 134a.
My truck didnt have all the vents that the 2nd gen has but it is nice to have alittle cold air when im out wheeelin!!
DO IT!!

sixstringsteve you are are too funny..... i need to take alook at your used bike lot :)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I always thought on something so gutless that you had to choose between forward motion or air conditioning but never both...unless you were on a long downhill?!?

My vote is for the standalone generator and the window mount...

Seriously though...just buy a different sidekick, swap all of your tires and stuff onto it and sell the non AC one, preferably in the winter months so people wont be so suspect of a modern day vehicle that somehow made it out of the factory without AC.

airmanwilliams

Seriously though...just buy a different sidekick, swap all of your tires and stuff onto it and sell the non AC one, preferably in the winter months so people wont be so suspect of a modern day vehicle that somehow made it out of the factory without AC.

Great idea and perfect timing since my wife and son are gone to arizona :D. Thank you for all the input guys. ive got to get a list together soon so I know what I need to grab from a wrecking yard, input on what I might need? Sean at lowrangeoffroad might have some stuff and a guy on a zuki forum said he might have a compressor and condenser for me as long as I pay shipping.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
This may sound harsh, but... I never hear about you taking your Sidekick on the trail. So why not sell it and buy a Civic or Camry or something that gets great gas mileage and has cold blowing AC? Be better around town and good for your road trips.

airmanwilliams

This may sound harsh, but... I never hear about you taking your Sidekick on the trail. So why not sell it and buy a Civic or Camry or something that gets great gas mileage and has cold blowing AC? Be better around town and good for your road trips.

haha I took it out last week up at the B with my inlaws. If I didnt have school, work, have to watch my wife so much due to her depression, and so many other factors I would be out more and actually use the 4wd. I would trade this sidekick off in a heartbeat for a civic if I could but because working on it is my single hobby I have in between all the things I have going on and because getting rid of it would make my wife more depressed about me losing another hobby I wont get rid of it.

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
could you sell the kick and since its very nice get enough money for older civic and a sami?

I think what everyone is saying is that it is easier to sell a car that does not fit your needs than it is to spend an unknown amount of money and the next couple of months trying to put AC in it.