Adding Power steering to a Samurai????

macabe

I have recently been diving into a Samurai and working on it for a friend and he wants Power Steering added.
Has anyone ass PS onto one before?
I have researched it a little and the parts I have been finding are all of of Toyota's. Will Toy PS box and parts all match up and work?
Let me know if you have any suggestions or can guide me.

Thanks

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
What axle/tire combo is he running?
If he is running stock axles and tires smaller than 33" you can go with a Sidekick PS setup like this one from Trail Tough.
If he has a more aggressive setup, such as running larger tires, then doing the Toyota setup is a bit stronger, but not entirely by a huge amount from what I hear. You have to find a specific Toyota PS systems from '78-'81 Celica, Cressinda and Corrola's. I'm not sure if that has changed, but thats how it was a while back.
I run a Sidekick setup, and it's great. Parts are easy to source in junk yards and with the mounts from Trail Tough, it bolted on with little issue. The only 'difficult' part was mounting the box to the frame rail, which required some drilling. But it really wasn't that hard.

01XJ

Years ago when i had my sammy i had a Toyota power steering on mine and i ran 35's and i beat the hell out of this rig and the power steering never gave me problems. Even under binding situations it would turn the 35's just fine:cool:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I swapped a box from a '81 or so Toyota Celica, and a Toyota mini-truck pump and reservoir on my Sami, and it worked out great. The box mounted easily on the inside of the frame (and it is smaller than an IFS truck box.) The pump mount was pretty easy too...I just used stock Samurai A/C brackets, and modified them a little to bolt to the pump. I also ran a hydro-assist with a 6" ram. Turned 36" swampers with welded diffs no problem.

macabe

Right now it is pretty much stock with a body lift and a small suspention lift. It is only running 31's so nothing too aggresive.
Thanks for the feedback, I have a good direction to go now.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
I have recently been diving into a Samurai and working on it for a friend and he wants Power Steering added.
Has anyone ass PS onto one before?
I have researched it a little and the parts I have been finding are all of of Toyota's. Will Toy PS box and parts all match up and work?
Let me know if you have any suggestions or can guide me.

Thanks

I like to use the toyota steering gear(celica etc) as it seems to have more throw than the sidekick. I have a pattern for the adapter plate I use. If it has a sidekick motor I will also use the sidekick power pump as it bolt up with a simple plate you can purchase from trail tough, rocky road etc you don't need the whole kit. I also modify the steering shaft and eliminate the rag joint, with the u-joint setup from the sidekick. Or you can make your own. Otherwise I use the toyota pump. I am in Hurricane, I have tons of junk for it if you make it down here. Good luck

Celica Power steering

Hey Samuraiman I found a 1979 celica being parted out and wondered what all I should pick from this carcass for the conversion for my Samurai. Can you please share the adaptor plate template?

Thanks