Adding trailer ramp assists

Pike2350

I recently bought 7x12 utility trailer. I need to add expanded metal to the 4' tall ramp which is already heavy and designed pretty stout. I realize I need to add some sort of spring assist to the ramp.

Has anyone done this? I found the Gorilla assets but don't like the idea of having the cables blocking the sides, nor do I like the idea of them sitting on top of the rails. I am preferring the small springs that are on a pin....but not sure the best place to mount them....nor do I have the welding/fab skills to figure out a way to add them. Has anyone seen a kit or have any idea on the best way to add these?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've seen a lot of those gorilla assists in use. Mostly on landscape trailers. They seem to hold up well.

I would also prefer the springs.. but I assume that the gorilla are so popular because of the work that would have to go into the springs.

My trailer has a heavy ramp. I just throw my back out lifting it, like a man.

Pike2350

I have seen those, but the hinges on mine don't allow it. I found this online, not the best pic, but this is the hinge mine has. it is a 3 part hinge with the center section having a grease zerk. the only way I can see adding it is to drill out the pin and get a longer pin, putting the spring next to the hinge and having a tab to capture the longer pin. Essentially making a 4 section hinge.

Double-Barrel-SA-4-1024x1024.jpg

I also thought about using the top rail (square tube) to hold a spring inside as I've seen some people do on youtube.....basically making my own gorilla style assist using the existing trailer. While I would prefer this over the gorilla, top mounted system....my ramp is the exact same width as the railing.(unlike the pic above)...which wouldn't let me mount the connection point on the ramp a good alignment with the tube, without it going up 9-* as it exits the tube (not sure that makes sense) with a roller on the cable inside the tube, I'm not sure this would be a big deal or not.

This is what I am referring to

Last edited: