AF canyon closed 7/7

Team1k

i camped overnight in AF canyon and on my way out there were 3 large landslides. They had the american fork side entrance closed. Im not sure how long it will take to clear the slides but i would assume at least a few days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 75

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I remember that happened a couple of years ago in a very similar location... There were actually 3 separate slides that time too. The road crews had it cleaned up in just a few hours though - hopefully it doesn't stay closed for too long.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Is this via the Timpanogos hwy or another route? or am I completely off? I"m not really familiar with the area.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Wow.....I rode the Alpine loop on my street bike today. I think I hit the mouth of the canyon around 11am and while we were in Heber for lunch we decided to change our route back home to Price since the sky's were black towards Strawberry and there was some rain down Provo Canyon. We ended up going up to Park City and down Parleys into the valley. I could see AF Canyon was getting some rain, but I would have never guessed it would be that bad.

Caleb

Wow! I'm impressed. That was alot of dirt between those 3 slides.

Yeah, but you get a dozer or two working on them and they can move a lot of dirt in a very short time. It's amazing how much dirt a good dozer operator can move in a short period.

carsonc1974

My girlfriend and I got stuck back there for about 4 hours... they had them all cleaned up quickly and the roads open again! It was pretty crazy, I got there just as the big slide slowed and watched a kid try and cross it on his quad. He didn't quite make it and got washed off the road and down into the creek. He was banged up but not hurt...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bart

Saw that also and was glad we got the Runner out before that. No reason to be stuck there. You can always head back over the Alpine Loop.

carsonc1974

Saw that also and was glad we got the Runner out before that. No reason to be stuck there. You can always head back over the Alpine Loop.

While we were stuck back in there, I busted out the maps and couldnt find a way out. There was one large and one small slide about a mile up HWY 144 that trapped anyone on the Tibble Fork side. Is there a back way a 2wd vehicle could have gotten outta there?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
While we were stuck back in there, I busted out the maps and couldnt find a way out. There was one large and one small slide about a mile up HWY 144 that trapped anyone on the Tibble Fork side. Is there a back way a 2wd vehicle could have gotten outta there?

Can always cruise up the main road past Tibble, believe its the 085? Drop down in to Midway and go down Parleys or Provo canyon. Long way to travel but better than sitting for 4 hours

Bart

I thought the slide was on 92 and not on 144. My bad.