AF Canyon - Forest Lake

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I wasn't going to get into this, but another thread spurred the mind..

Candace and I went up AFC Saturday night to camp, we decided on camping somewhere along the Forest Lake Road, and heading up to Forest Lake in the morning. (take note Sully, I and a couple other Cruiserheads headed up there Friday night, trail wasn't bad IMHO, it is washed out, but a Cruiser on 31's was able to handle most of it without help)

Sunday morning we get up and unhitch the trail-trailer, and begin up to Forest Lake, as we are heading up we hear news of a stuck Suburban blocking the trail as well as tearing up the canyon, not gonna turn my back on that one.

We arrive at the meadow (where the buck fences parrellel the trail on the North side). Sure enough this guy has dug himself in good, bald 38's, steering out of order, and plenty of pedal. Needless to say he had worked at it for sometime managing to give the suffering trail some more damage...

Some other wheelers offer to help him out, I sit back, snap a couple pics, and chat with some other Jeepers, the whole time in dismay of the situation.

At one point I am confonted about why I am taking so many pictures, I tell me side of the situation (aka... what better way is there to get a trail closed) and that is when the ruckus begins. I had a few heated conversations with a couple of guys, none seemed to be too educated on life. Some of my favorite quotes were "thats what trails are for", "he was alone, what did you expect him to do, wait for help?", "you think that Toyota would make it through without damaging the ground", "its your Forest, you fix it".... I stood my ground, introduced myself and my affiliation with the canyon, etc. Kind've sucked being surrounded by a hostile group...

I can see from both sides, obviously this kid didn't belong on that trail with that vehicles, and he should have looked for help before tearing up a trail... But then again he was alone... :rolleyes:

Funny thing, after all the arguing, I had quite a few people stop and say "thanks", "I agree", "we are not with them", and "glad someone has the guts to call them on their mistakes"...

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• FL 006_sm.jpg
    FL 006_sm.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 124
  • FL 008_sm.jpg
    FL 008_sm.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 102

Ford Prefect

cruiseroutfit said:
I can see from both sides, obviously this kid didn't belong on that trail with that vehicles, and he should have looked for help before tearing up a trail... But then again he was alone... :rolleyes:

Funny thing, after all the arguing, I had quite a few people stop and say "thanks", "I agree", "we are not with them", and "glad someone has the guts to call them on their mistakes"...

Here are some pics:

You make two really good points here.

Firstly that the guy should have known better, and hopefully will in the future.

Secondly that when you are young, stuck, and alone you tend to get a little stressed, and perhaps the trail is not the first thing on your mind. (not in any way intended to condone what happened, just recognnition that it is a little stressful.

I do want to note one interesting thing, however. I find it interesting that these people complimented you on sticking up for the trail, but did not bother to back you up when they were arguing with you. :rolleyes:

Never the less, I agree with what you posted. Sad that people trash the trails.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ford Prefect said:
...I do want to note one interesting thing, however. I find it interesting that these people complimented you on sticking up for the trail, but did not bother to back you up when they were arguing with you.....

In all reality, they may have said something, just not at the same time as I... they were all really cool guys, and in fact some of them may not have understood where I was coming from at first. There were a couple RME'ers (Alabama & ???) that shocked the crowd when they drove right through the snow/mud to show how a little finess can make it all happen ;) :D

What it really comes down to is this... groups (Trout Unlimited) have wanted to shut down Forest Lake in the past (and recent) due to the amount of silt brought into the river at the crossing and due to OHV's up above. Now this year is a bit different seeing as the stream coming down Shaffer canyon has left its intended path in a half-dozen spots, erosion was bound to happen and we (U4WDA) will be working with the USFS to make any nescessary trail repairs.

crawlin84toy

I was there too.

The worst part about this situation was this kid went alone and unprepaired. Our group were just on a Sunday cruise. We were going to pull the burb out of the way, then the owner arrived almost upon hook up. Frankly, it screwed up most our day. Can't just leave somone behind even if I don't know them. We would do the same for anyone. It is a shame the fence was tore up, we'll just fix it. I mean, all that care will fix it. We feel that the yelling matches we totally uncalled for, there are better ways to aproach the situation. The guy that was stuck already felt like an idiot and he knew he was in the wrong. I was pissed too, but you just don't start shouting (all parties involved), that will put any person on the defence. I agree that the guy should have been approached, and that you were mad about the situation, but next time aproach the person differntly instead of starting a yelling match (all parties included).

Evertime we go out on a trail, we take garbage bags and pick up garbage along the way. My wife usually walks the whole trail, and we always come out with a couple of full bags. We may not do as much as others to protect the trails, but we do respect them. Remember that MOST of us do care and will help fight to keep roads open.

At first we were treated like we were in the wrong, but after talking a little, we hope you understand that we were trying to help the guy get out without any more damage!

PS: Like the trailer!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
crawlin84toy said:
...We would do the same for anyone.

As would I, it was an all around bad situation... :(

It is a shame the fence was tore up, we'll just fix it. I mean, all that care will fix it.

Yup, I will let everyone know when the USFS is ready to get it taken care of. Hopefully they will be in favor of some modifications in the area, such as routing the trail where the new bypass is.

We feel that the yelling matches we totally uncalled for, there are better ways to aproach the situation. The guy that was stuck already felt like an idiot and he knew he was in the wrong.

As did I, and I felt bad about the way it went down. Frankly, I wasn't going to say a word, I was planning on taking some pictures, mabey chatting with the driver 1 on 1 and then going about my day. However, I was asked by one of the younger dudes there "Why are you taking so many pictures", that is when I replied "to get a picture of all the damage up here"... that is pretty much when it went to yelling. Didn't seem that anyone wanted to hear my side of the argument. Lesson learned, hopefully it can happen differently next time around...

In all reality, the driver was the only one that was listening, it was his freinds, (I think, they were the ones on 4-Wheelers) that were happy to argue. I have no hard feelings for any of the parties, I just hope everyone appreciates what "we" have and how easily it can be stripped (contrary to the beleif of one of the kids who claims "tons of trails have been opened lately")

Evertime we go out on a trail, we take garbage bags and pick up garbage along the way. My wife usually walks the whole trail, and we always come out with a couple of full bags. We may not do as much as others to protect the trails, but we do respect them. Remember that MOST of us do care and will help fight to keep roads open.

Those are encouraging words, and hopefully our numbers will grow through education (not yelling as you noted).

At first we were treated like we were in the wrong, but after talking a little, we hope you understand that we were trying to help the guy get out without any more damage!

For sure, I understand completely, you guys were doing the right thing by helping him out. No harm intended... :(

PS: Like the trailer!

Thanks! :D

crawlin84toy

Thanks for understanding all sides.

We appreciate all the the clubs do to help keep trails open, so we all can enjoy a sport we all love.

Hopefully, those kids will grow up and understand that there are more against closing trails than for keeping them open.

Meat_

Banned
Someone was quite the ass at the creek crossing recently as well...

Attachments

• 0627051419b.jpg
    0627051419b.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 90

Live Rust

Sorry to hear about the altercation. I know one of our group inadvertantly backed into the huge hole near the fence after he was pulled out of the snow. Luckily he held tight till we got back from the lake and simply winched him out of the hole without a lot of needles churning and digging. American Fork is such a great place to wheel close to home. I hate to see people do anything which could be used to restrict our access there.
That was a huge hole Friday night, I can't imagine what it must look like now. Let us know Kurt when they decide on a trail repair day with the Forest Service people. I would be happy to come again this year.

Forest Lake is Really Full !

Troy

shortstraw8

I agree and glad that everyone can be adults in the end and relize there faults. Because there are not that many trails open
these days oposed to when I was younger I did not realize the importance of not litering, tearing up trails by diggin that was just fun for me while sluffing school,or on friday night all that but all it took was for someone to explain the reason that trails get closed and then all the fun ends. So for me and everyone that I trail ride with are the same if it's not part of nature it goes in the jeep then the trash. Hopefully though all the clubs and magazines we can promote a clean trail. I heard not to long ago some parts of the RUBICON (camping areas) were getting closed and if it gets completly closed before I get to go and play I'll be real mad. So if I do my part and everyone else does there part hopefully we can keep trails open cause moabs a blast but its not just a sat or sun one day trail ride for me it has to be a weekend. So thanks to cruiseroutfit for voiceing your concern maby that will get through to him or them and whoever.
and no one should ever go wheelin with less than 2 extra vehicles.

Last edited: