AF Canyon Night Run - July 10th, 2010

sixstringsteve

oh great... and here I was thinking that lockers were for gym class...

At least you've got all those skid plates underneath.

01XJ

I agree. JL will be fine. I just don't want 30 stock rigs to show up and have one get hi-centered so we all have to wait. Not like 30 rigs would ever come out to a wheeling trip, but you can always hope :)
If ya have to wait you have to wait its all part of wheeling with lots of people. Im sure if someone did get high centered it looks like there would be more than enough people to give a rig a shove off a rock;)

sixstringsteve

If ya have to wait you have to wait its all part of wheeling with lots of people. Im sure if someone did get high centered it looks like there would be more than enough people to give a rig a shove off a rock;)

I know what you mean, I don't mind waiting while people get through stuff, that's part of the fun. However, the last time I ran Mineral Basin there was a drunk lady in a stock TJ at the top of the rock garden, completely hi-centered. only one tire was touching and she didn't have any lockers. It took us an hour and a half to get her out (long story). It's not cool to block a two-way trail just because you thought you could do it stock. I'm sure this won't happen with us with so many experienced wheelers and a lot more common sense than that lady, but that's why I make those recommendations. I probably stated it wrong up above.

For those that know how to wheel well and feel comfortable in their stocker, great, feel free to try it. For those that are new to wheeling and have never been on this trail, I would recommend lockers and 32"+ tires, just to be safe. This recommendation is made up by me, just to help those who don't know the trail know what to expect. Yes, you can do it in a lot of stock vehicles. I'm just trying to give a reference for those who are new to wheeling or haven't done this trail before, and trying to avoid a major road block for anyone who might be coming down the trail. That's all.

I'm glad you're planning on joining us 01XJ, it's always great to meet new people.

Last edited:

gilg2533

I would love to go and meet some people. I am in midway though so i would prefer to meet you guys at the split to cascade springs as it only takes me 30 mins vs an hour and a half or more to drive around :p Word of warning for you guys though. I ran mineral basin all the way on Tuesday of this week. There is one obstacle that cannot be bypassed and i highly highly doubt a rig with anything under 33's is getting over it without either attempting to move a rock (dont ruin obstacles for the rest of us!) or doing some creative rock piling. I was with two other locals and they said that they had never seen that obstacle before so this years runoff must have caused it. You can even see where someone slid of the mountain and had to drive down the hill attempting it. Aditionally one of the guys behind me with a TJ on 33's high centered and had to be winched over. I myself nailed my rocker guard (TJ with 33's) on the way back down, the rest of the trail should be no problem as long as you have good spotters in the garden. And I apologize for the long post!

sixstringsteve

Sounds good gilg. I'll PM you my cell # and you can call me when you're up there. Maybe you should meet us at dutchman flat. I'd assume we'll get there around 8.

gilg2533

Oh and just to let you know, I have a TJ with 33's and a lunchbox locker in the back (soon to be arbs front and rear), winch, onboard air, hi-lift, pull pall winch anchor and tons and tons of recovery gear so make use of me! Rig also has 4 forward facing offroad lights and 2 rearward. While I am new to the area ive been wheeling since I was a kid. Oh and if you guys are running cb's what channel do you use?

sixstringsteve

sweet rig gilg, you'll do fine. We're going to say channel 27 on the CB for this run, unless there's too much traffic, then we'll switch to 37.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Plan on an hour to get from the chevron to the trail head. We will probably spend an hour it two at mineral basin, then do forest lake. I would plan on forest lake taking two hours up and an hour and a half to get down. I'm sure a smaller group could do it faster. I have to get back early sunday so there's a chance I may head down late saturday night.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
I dont mean to jack your thread but I really wanna go up AF canyon so i can find some trails all you people keep talking about. im in a TJ with 35's but with open diffs, im not going to ask if this will make it because IT WILL if im driving. But i just do not want to slow people down. My question is do you all air down up there?? I know it might be a stupid question but im pretty new to all the technical crawling technique stuff.

01XJ

Just in case anyone is wondering about the rock garden up at Mineral Basin you can get a pretty much stock rig thru just fine. We ran it this past weekend in our new XJ with open diffs, both sway bars connected 31's and roughly 2.5" lift and we went thru the rock garden with ease and acquired no damage at all. Choose your lines wisely and you wont have any problems.:cool:

sixstringsteve

I dont mean to jack your thread but I really wanna go up AF canyon so i can find some trails all you people keep talking about. im in a TJ with 35's but with open diffs, im not going to ask if this will make it because IT WILL if im driving. But i just do not want to slow people down. My question is do you all air down up there?? I know it might be a stupid question but im pretty new to all the technical crawling technique stuff.

You're good, come along. You'll do fine. Yes, I do air down, the gravel road up is pretty bumpy and it's sure a lot better with less pressure in your tires.

sixstringsteve

Choose your lines wisely and you wont have any problems.:cool:

Totally agree. I got a stock tacoma through with no sliders and no lift. It got mighty close to hitting the rockers at a few parts, but it's do-able. If you're on the fence about going, please go. I didn't mean to scare anyone away and make them think that they'll be a nuisance. If you're new to rock crawling and you have a sctock daily driver that you don't want to scratch, there is probably a better first run for you. if you've been around the block a bit, feel free to bring your stockers. We got a fullsize dodge up Forest lake with a 2" lift and no lockers. It'll be a blast for everyone.

sixstringsteve

Just in case anyone is wondering about the rock garden up at Mineral Basin you can get a pretty much stock rig thru just fine. We ran it this past weekend in our new XJ with open diffs, both sway bars connected 31's and roughly 2.5" lift and we went thru the rock garden with ease and acquired no damage at all. Choose your lines wisely and you wont have any problems.:cool:

Thanks for the update XJ. We ran MEG and the first part of Forest Lake last weekend. We didn't have time to make it over to Mineral Basin.

sixstringsteve

Cool. We will keep an eye out for you. We should arrive at the trail head of mineral basin around 8 or 815. Let's say cb channel 27 for everyone.